Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt-77/)
-   -   Hard To Find …. (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/sony-alpha-dslr-konica-minolta-dslr-sony-slt/130563-hard-find.html)

FrankD Oct 12, 2007 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This one just arrived.

JimC posted some images a while ago that he captured using his Minolta 100mm f/2. I have lusted after one ever since and finally one showed up. What a nicely made lens!

Now all I have to do is learn how to use it.


JimC Oct 12, 2007 10:50 AM

Congratulations. It's a wonderful lens.


TCav Oct 12, 2007 11:02 AM

Congradulations! And post something! (... besides pictures of the lens.)

On a related note, I just saw a 85mm f/1.4 go for $712 on eBay. It was still too rich for my blood, but I hope it finds a good home.

FrankD Oct 12, 2007 6:03 PM

Thanks guys - I'll try to do it jusyice.

TCav, that's a pretty good price for the 85mm f/1.4. Did you spot a 28mm or 35mm lens yet?

I'm not going to admit how much I paid for the 100mm f/2 but suffice to say that they are virtually a collector's item and I paid a collector's price for it. :-)

JimC Oct 12, 2007 6:27 PM

I can imagine.

I had a hard time finding one, even before the KM 5D was shipping. I was searching listings for this specific lens for weeks; checking ebay, keh, adorama, b&h and other vendors multiple times per day. One finally surfaced at adorama. I nabbed it immediately.


JimC Oct 12, 2007 6:43 PM

P.S.

If you're not aware of it already, the Minolta 100mm f/2 is sharper at apertures in common with the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G according to MTF tests at photodo. Of course, it doesn't have f/1.4. ;-)

http://old.photodo.com/nav/prodindex.html


Minolta 100mm f/2
Photodo test result: 4,4
Effective focal length: 97
Weighted MTF for 100 mm: f2 0,75, f2,8 0,77, f4 0,84, f8 0,85
Average Weighted MTF: 0,85 Grade: 4,4
Weighted MTF 10 lp/mm: 0,91
Weighted MTF 20 lp/mm: 0,82
Weighted MTF 40 lp/mm: 0,62



Minolta 85mm f/1.4G
Photodo test result: 3,9
Effective focal length: 84 mm
Weighted MTF for 85 mm: f1,4 0,59, f2 0,71, f2,8 0,77, f4 0,80, f8 0,81
Average Weighted MTF: 0,80 Grade: 3,9
Weighted MTF 10 lp/mm: 0,89
Weighted MTF 20 lp/mm: 0,76
Weighted MTF 40 lp/mm: 0,53



The bokeh is also very sweet. and this lens has "character" (for lack of a better definition of the image quality this lens is capable of).

Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D, Minolta 100mm f/2, ISO 200, 1/1000 second, with the aperture wide open at f/2:


http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/imag...5/original.jpg

TCav Oct 12, 2007 8:34 PM

FrankD wrote:
Quote:

TCav, that's a pretty good price for the 85mm f/1.4. Did you spot a 28mm or 35mm lens yet?
There are lots of 50mm f/1.7s, Beercans, 28-80s and 35-70s of every description. I've got my eye on a couple of 135mm f/2.8s that are coming up. I was looking at a 28-70 f/2.8 Gthat was withdrawn, and a 28-75 f/2.8 that I was outbid on. There is the ocassional 28mm f/2.8, but nothing brighter, and since I've got the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, I'm not interested.

lomitamike Oct 13, 2007 1:44 AM

Nice score Frank. I too have been looking for one of these, they don't come up for sale very often. Did you get the one I saw (to late) on Dyxum recently? That one went quick.



FrankD Oct 13, 2007 9:17 AM

JimC wrote:
Quote:

P.S.

If you're not aware of it already, the Minolta 100mm f/2 is sharper at all apertures in common with the Minolta 85mm f/1.4G according to MTF tests at photodo. Of course, it doesn't have f/1.4. ;-)

Jim, thanks for the MTF data. I've seen some discussions where the 100mm f/2 was said to have comparable sharpness to the 85mm f/1.4 G. I didn't realize that it was sharper as suggested by these data. I think I can live without the f/1.4. Your recent posts from your A700 at ISO3200 suggest that super wide apertures would only be necessary in extreme situations.

That's a great shot. If I can get anything close to that I'll be very happy.


TCav wrote:
Quote:

There are lots of 50mm f/1.7s, Beercans, 28-80s and 35-70s of every description. I've got my eye on a couple of 135mm f/2.8s that are coming up. I was looking at a 28-70 f/2.8 Gthat was withdrawn, and a 28-75 f/2.8 that I was outbid on. There is the ocassional 28mm f/2.8, but nothing brighter, and since I've got the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, I'm not interested.
TCav,
Good luck with your quest! The Minolta 135mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I haven't used mine very much sine I got it - too busy shopping for more lenses!


lomitamike wrote:
Quote:

Nice score Frank. I too have been looking for one of these, they don't come up for sale very often. Did you get the one I saw (to late) on Dyxum recently? That one went quick.


lomitamike,
I think the nice shot is the one JimC posted. It's exactly these kinds of images that got me hooked on this lens.
I did buy it on Dyxum so it probably was the same listing that you saw. I'm on EDT here and my day starts fairly early. The seller was on PDT and posted the listing for the lens fairly late. It had been there about three hours when I spotted it. I guess you could say. "snooze you lose".


TCav Oct 13, 2007 9:47 AM

FrankD wrote:
Quote:

Good luck with your quest! The Minolta 135mm f/2.8 is a great lens. I haven't used mine very much sine I got it - too busy shopping for more lenses!
Got one! Of course it's not f/2.0, but I might be able to make do.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:22 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
SEO by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2