Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:31 PM   #1

If I wanted a Macro lens with portrait abilities too, would the Tamron 90mm 2.8 do the job? The Minolta 100 2.8 is more pricey and readily available, but is it really that much better? Also, what is a good price for the Tamron? Thanks, and feel free to show some examples of the Tamron's abilities!
DrChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 14, 2007, 12:54 AM   #2

DrChris wrote:
Quote:
If I wanted a Macro lens with portrait abilities too, would the Tamron 90mm 2.8 do the job?
For a 35mm film camera, or a full frame dSLR, a good portrait lens is something around 85 to 105mm. For an APS-C dSLR, a 90mm lens is long for a portrait lens.

For portraits, you want a lens with a small enough depth of field that you can capture the subject, yet you can blur the immediate background. You also want a lens long enough that you won't unduly accentuate anything.

So on a 1.5 crop factor dLSR, a 50mm lens is equivalent to a 75mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, which makes ift a good portrait lens.A 90mm lens is equivalent to a 135mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, which isa little too long. The kind of lens you would use also depends on the kind of portrait you want to take. For a face only portrait, you might be able to work with a 90mm lens, but if you wanted anything more, you might have to work from the next room.

With that said, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bad prime lens in the range of 50mm to 135mm.

...from anybody.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2007, 6:15 AM   #3

As TCav says it's hard to go wrong with the A mount primes. The A mount macros get pretty good scores here:

http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/results.asp?IDLensType=2

There are some sample images from the Tamron SP AF 90mm f/2.8 DI here:

http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11401

I presume TCav means the50mm Macrofor the tight portrait shots. It's a little less expensive than the 100mm Macro but also has a slightly lower score. For macro shots using a 50mmlens I'd imagine that you might have to get pretty close to your subject. That may make subject illumination a little more challenging.

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2007, 9:45 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
DrChris wrote:
Quote:
If I wanted a Macro lens with portrait abilities too, would the Tamron 90mm 2.8 do the job?
For a 35mm film camera, or a full frame dSLR, a good portrait lens is something around 85 to 105mm. For an APS-C dSLR, a 90mm lens is long for a portrait lens.

For portraits, you want a lens with a small enough depth of field that you can capture the subject, yet you can blur the immediate background. You also want a lens long enough that you won't unduly accentuate anything.

So on a 1.5 crop factor dLSR, a 50mm lens is equivalent to a 75mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, which makes ift a good portrait lens.A 90mm lens is equivalent to a 135mm lens on a 35mm film SLR, which isa little too long. The kind of lens you would use also depends on the kind of portrait you want to take. For a face only portrait, you might be able to work with a 90mm lens, but if you wanted anything more, you might have to work from the next room.

With that said, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a bad prime lens in the range of 50mm to 135mm.

...from anybody.
The 90mm Tamron is a bit long indoors but love the job it doesjob outdoors. I love the deep colors mine reproduces, which adds a nice effect to backgroundblur especially with foilage backgrounds.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote