Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:21 PM   #1

HELP!!! I was shooting my son's soccer game tonight and it looks like my CCD failed/is failing. I tried everything... different battery,3 different CF cards, 2 different lenses, I cleaned the CCD, reset the camera a million times and I still get these distorted pictures.

By resetting the camera I could get it to take a clear picture or two, and then it would start to get distorted again.

I also tried every combination of settings possible (P, A, M, [P], autofocus, manual focus, you name it!) to see if a setting went bad, but nothing seemed to correct it.

Anybody else have this problem AND any suggestions on what to do next?

THANKS!!!!

-Jim :sad:
Attached Images

SoccerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2007, 11:24 PM   #2

Here's another example of what I've been getting.
Attached Images

SoccerDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 7:37 AM   #3
Administrator

That doesn't look good. I have not seen this type of issue reported with a KM dSLR before. But, it does look like the symptoms you'd get with a bad CCD.

If it's under Warranty, go here:

http://eservice.sony.com/webrma/web/index.do

If not, try here. I think Precision is getting $281 for out of warranty repairs now for most problems (they do all of the warranty repairs for Sony on KM models now, too).

http://www.precisioncamera.com/

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2007, 9:23 AM   #4

SoccerDad wrote:
Quote:
HELP!!! I was shooting my son's soccer game tonight and it looks like my CCD failed/is failing. I tried everything... different battery,3 different CF cards, 2 different lenses, I cleaned the CCD, reset the camera a million times and I still get these distorted pictures.

By resetting the camera I could get it to take a clear picture or two, and then it would start to get distorted again.

Nasty problem, but doesn't sound like CCD. If it were the CCD, how could it get a clear picture at all? Sounds like an issue of something getting warm/hot, likely due to a bad connection that has become a heating ellement.

An experiment to try: use the intervalometer to shoot once every second or two with a very fast shutter speed (CCD turned on for a short time), the LCD off (heaviest current draw) and JPEG (less processing than JPEG+RAW). See how many shots it gets before going bad as a measure of the heating. Let the camera cool down overnight, repeat with a long shutter speed, LCD on, and JPEG+RAW. I susspect you will get more shots before it goes bad with the fast/off/JPEG setting.

None of that is going to really help fix the problem though. Not something to go after yourself unless you are very knowedgeable/clever/foolish/...
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote