Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:38 PM   #1

Any owners of a Sony Alpha 100 DSLR? Have you experienced the problem of backordered pro series lenses? - specifically the "G" glass used for outdoor sports.

Does anyone know where I might obtain a replacement lens comparable to the
SAL-70200G - 70-200mm f/2.8 G-Series Telephoto Zoom Lens?

I have had my Sony Alpha for a year and I love what this camera is capable of; however, the kit lenses don't do it justice. I purchased an interim 70-300mm 4.5-5.6 to use while waiting to purchase the "G" glass and have been able to capture some great shots but the photos just do not "pop" enough for me. DOF sux! Parents love the shots and I may be overly critical of my work, but to make a photo sing, you need serious DOF with "in your face" shots. Not to mention clarity!

FYI - the SAL-70200G is still unavailable for purchase andcosts approx.$2000.00 US, anything greater goes up exponentially.

Any helpful comments welcome!

Sniper-->
sniper--> is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 21, 2007, 4:14 PM   #2
Administrator

sniper--> wrote:
Quote:
FYI - the SAL-70200G is still unavailable for purchase andcosts approx.$2000.00 US, anything greater goes up exponentially.
You can buy this lens directly from Sonystyle.com (they have it in stock now, as they have for while now). Order today and it should ship tomorrow:

Sony 70-200mm f/2.8G SSM at sonystyle.com

http://www.bhphotovideo.com normally has this lens in stock, too. But, they apparently just ran out of them, probably due to the recent price drop.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 5:20 PM   #3

Lo and behold, I sqeaked and now look the fool. Imust be the unluckiest guy in the world. Each and every time I contacted Sony re: the "G" glass they were out of stock and this HAS gone on for the last year.

Thanks for the reply, I checked and they do in fact have it in stock and available for shipment.

sniper-->
sniper--> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 6:16 PM   #4
Administrator

B&H had them at $1899 the last time I checked (the price dropped recently and they dropped their price to $100 less than sonystyle.com).

But, it looks like they just ran out within the last week or so (showing out of stock now).

You may want to get on the mailing list at B&H to let you know when they are back in stock if you're not in a big hurry so you can save a few bucks (they were $100 less than sonystyle.com, plus you don't have to pay them sales tax unless you're in NY. sonystyle.com charges sales tax in most areas (which makes them higher than some of the other vendors around).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 7:18 PM   #5

sniper-->

80-200 f2.8 APO

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote