Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 5, 2007, 4:58 PM   #1

I'm wondering if the pin configuration will work? I'm contemplating an Alpha700 and have this Canon 420EX Flash from a previous camera.

Thanks - Ponz
theponz924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 5, 2007, 5:07 PM   #2
Administrator

No. That flash is designed to work only on Canon models. You couldn't even mount it in the hotshoe on an Alpha 700 (it's a different hotshoe design), much less get the camera to communicate with it.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2007, 11:55 AM   #3

Thank you!
theponz924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:42 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
No. That flash is designed to work only on Canon models. You couldn't even mount it in the hotshoe on an Alpha 700 (it's a different hotshoe design), much less get the camera to communicate with it.
Would you be stuck with using Sony flashes? Could you use a Metz lets say? What other brands can you use?
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2007, 12:56 PM   #5
Administrator

The Sony Flash models are just rebranded Minolta Flashes.

Here are a some compatible flash models if you want a fully dedicated flash that's aware of your camera settings (and the Minolta models listed also work). You'll also see some third party flashes from Sunpak, Sigma and Metz in the list:

http://www.dyxum.com/flashes/index.asp

Personally, I use non-dedicated flashes via an adapter that converts the hotshoe into an ISO standard shoe. This is the one I use:

http://www.gadgetinfinity.com/home.php?cat=275

I only spent $48 for a flash system to use with my Maxxum 5D and (and recently acquired Alpha 700), and that included two flashes and a hotshoe adapter (and I can fire both flashes at the same time with this setup if I want to use one on camera in the hotshoe and the other off camera via a PC Sync Cord).

* $16 for a third party adapter to give the 5D an ISO standard hotshoe (and a PC Sync Port). The A700 already has a PC Sync Port (but my 5D doesn't and this adapter gives it one).

* a Sunpak 222 Auto with tilt and two aperture ranges for a smaller flash unit (GN of about 72 feet at ISO 100) for $7.00 from KEH.com (and they even threw in a nice, coiled PC Sync Cord with it).

* a Sunpak 333 Auto with tilt, swivel and zoom head with multiple auto aperture ranges, as well as better manual settings (full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16). GN runs from 86 feet to 120 feet at ISO 100, depending on the zoom head setting. I got this one for $25 (like new in box in 10 condition from the used department at B&H).

Total Flash System Investment: $48

I just use manual exposure on the camera, setting the aperture and ISO speed to match the Aperture Range selected on the flash and let the flash control the exposure via how much light it sees reflected using it's built in sensor.

If you want a dedicated system that's aware of the camera settings being used, I'd check into the models on the page I posted a link to at dyxum.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote