Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 9, 2007, 2:27 PM   #1
Administrator

Take a look at this low light ISO 3200 image shot with a Sony DSLR-A700 wearing a Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* 16-80mm f/3.5-4.5 DT Autofocus lens at 35mm, with the aperture wide open at f/4.5, using a 1/20 second shutter speed (these are the links to Novak Rogic's images, not mine).

Downsized to 1200 pixels wide:
http://www.cityideas.com/A700/jeff-small.jpg

Full Size Image (4272 x 2248 pixels):
http://www.cityideas.com/A700/jeff.jpg

This ISO 3200 photo was taken by Novak Rogic and his Sony DSLR-A700 was updated with firmware version 2, using the new Sony software to convert from raw.

He told me to feel free to post it (I was so impressed with how nice this looked for ISO 3200 that I asked him via e-mail if I could show it to forum members here).

I downsized the image for posting here, using a smaller 800 pixels wide (a little wider than I usually go with photos in the forums, but smaller than Novak's downsized sample as not to impact thread readability for most members).

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 9, 2007, 3:09 PM   #2

Very impressive indeed. Was the as shot image this noise free? -or - is the new Sony software responsible. Either way it is very impressive to have come out of the camera that way, or for the software to have removed noise and preserved that much detail (that guy needs a shave!)
a200user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2007, 4:59 PM   #3
Administrator

Much of the advancement you see in lower noise from modern cameras is in the software (if you're shooting raw) or the image processing pipeline in the camera (if you're shooting JPEG). Both are applying noise reduction to some extent, and the algorithms are getting to be pretty sophisticated anymore as processor speeds improve.

We're seeing advances in sensor technology, too (better microlens designs to amplify the light hitting each photosite, more sophisticated electronics to minimize dark current noise levels, etc.). But, a lot of it is the image processing.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote