Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 9, 2007, 10:06 PM   #1

All I can say is WOW!

I realize you guys blow me away, photographically speaking. It's been a number of years since I used my old X700s. This Sony 18-250 seems like it will suit me for a while. At least until I get all the ins and outs figured! The built-in flash is one powerful little bugger too. The controls are very well placed and the LCD screen - well let's just say it's the best I've ever seen.

This camera is so 'function ridden' it's unbelievable. I've only taken a few shots in AUTO and Program mode to insure it works. I've jacked with the ISO settings a little too.

Now I need a new bag and possible the vertical grip, if I can justify it's use. I figure theadded weight of the grip will make for more steady shots. How's that for a good excuse?

I think I'm going to be quite taken, especially once I get everything figured out!

I'll keep reporting as I go along and grab a picture or two worth posting.

Later - Ponz

theponz924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 10, 2007, 12:49 AM   #2

monopod works great for stability
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 7:59 AM   #3
Administrator

Congrats! It's a nice camera. The more I use mine, the more I like it.

I saw your post asking about the grip. I don't have one yet. So, I'm not sure how the batteries work together.

Unless you're taking an awful lot of images, I doubt you'd need to worry about it. I took around 400 at a family reunion and the in camera battery was still showing 81% full, and I was doing a lot of "chimping" (reviewing of the images on screen). I recharged it before I had to go to wedding later in the same day (although that was probably not necessary), taking over 400 photos later there, too.

I think you're probably get around 1000 shots on one battery charge (just the camera battery, not the grip batteries) if you're not using the flash, unless you're using a heavier lens design that requires a lot of focus motor turns. I think the CIPA rating is around 650 shots. But, that assumes a certain amount of flash use.

I've taken more than 600 shots on a single charge with my KM 5D in the past, and that was using continuous focus at basketball games (which is going to drain the battery more), and I still had charge left. I think the battery consumption is probably going to be close between them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:26 AM   #4

Any advice on a decent monopod that won't break the bank?
theponz924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2007, 8:54 AM   #5
Administrator

I'd take a look at some down at your local dealer and decide how much weight/bulk you want to put up with, and think about what types of lenses you may want later.

Something like a Bogen/Manfrotto 679B is popular and relatively inexpensive. The type of head is not that important to me. But, if you're doing a lot of panning type work with heavier lenses, then I'd compare the heads more carefully.

We have a forum dedicated to Tripods and Heads that has a lot of threads with users asking about Monopods, with responses from members with their preferences. So, you may get some ideas from it.

But, I'd try out any solution you consider in a store that carries them to make sure you're comfortable with the one you decide on.

Tripods and Heads Forum

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 9:51 AM   #6

Hi,

I'm very pleased to hear that you too like the new A 700 + the 18-250 mm zoom lens.

I purchased exactly the same combination on October 30, 2007 and for me the camera as well as the lens are simply amazing tools.

By the way, put some images on the forum today and if you're interested you could
just take a look.

Good luck to you and keep shooting!!!

xer2004
xer2004 is offline   Reply With Quote