Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:46 PM   #11
Administrator

theponz924 wrote:
Quote:
I'm in the market for a relatively fast, short focal length lens that won't break the bank any more...
Keep an eye on the used listings at http://www.keh.com and http://www.bhphotovideo.com (and check listings often). You can sometimes find pretty good deals that way (but, the better deals tend to be grabbed quickly, which is why you want to check often).

In a new lens, I'd look at the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC. Personally, I'm using a Minolta 28mm f/2 AF lens for something relatively fast in close quarters.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:03 PM   #12

I understand.

What do you gus think of the Konica Minolta 24 mm f/2.8 AF Lens?

BTW - Jim. I'm having a difficult time rapping my head around the D-Range optimizer (DRO). Can you give me quick synopsis or point me toward a tutorial. The manual doesn't say much. (A700)

Ponz
theponz924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:40 PM   #13
Administrator

I haven't used a 24mm f/2.8 since I've got Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5 that I use if I can get away with something dimmer than my 28mm f/2 or need something wider than 28mm. So, I decided to skip any primes wider than 28mm.

But, you can see some reviews of the 24mm f/2.8 here (and it looks like it a well liked lens):

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...s.asp?IDLens=9

I think I've seen one or two of our forum members mention using one before, too.

As for DRO, you'll just have to try it. It's trying to analyze the image and do things like brighten or darken areas of it to make it look better in a similar manner that you'd do things like apply a tone curve using an image editor. I haven't played with it much myself (it's currently turned off on my A700). I may give it a try in harsher lighting and see how it does with various settings when time permits.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2007, 9:39 PM   #14

Sony alpha DSLR-A700 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with SAL-1870 Zoom Lens (DSLR-A700K)Sony alpha DSLR-A700 12.2-Megapixel Digital SLR Camera with SAL-1870 Zoom Lens (DSLR-A700K)

was on sale this weekend for 1229 with lens this weekend
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote