Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:49 PM   #1

Can any one confirm if the A700 will remap bad pixels? I was told that the A100 had this "feature".

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:50 AM   #2
NHL

What's the big deal?

This is smaller than a dust spot (which are more likely to happen than anything) and one that can easely clone out in post processing.
I rather know where my dead pixels are rather than not see it at all when they 'magically' disappear or hidden away from me like nothing happened which is the case when a sensor leave the factory...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:50 AM   #3

NHL wrote:
Quote:
What's the big deal?

This is smaller than a dust spot (which are more likely to happen than anything) and one that can easely clone out in post processing.
I rather know where my dead pixels are rather than not see it at all when they 'magically' disappear or hidden away from me like nothing happened which is the case when a sensor leave the factory...
Doesn't seem to be a big deal really. As I've never "spotted" any in practically all the PBase (40D, A700, 5D, D2X, D200....etc.) and other website site postings. Only on the "bad pixel" specific forum posts. I was made aware of it by a certain A700 owner on this forum. And it would be good to find out the A700 does actually remap bad pixels.

I was told that Photoshop would automatically remap bad pixels. How is this done? I have PE5.

Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:12 PM   #4
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
I was told that Photoshop would automatically remap bad pixels. How is this done? I have PE5.
Photoshop doesn't remap anything...

-> This normally would manifest as a bright + sign in low-light picture that you just clone it out from other dark areas. In a normal image you probably won't notice this at alll...
Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:24 PM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
Photoshop doesn't remap anything...

-> This normally would manifest as a bright + sign in low-light picture that you just clone it out from other dark areas. In a normal image you probably won't notice this at alll...
After I red that post I found Photoshop doesn't actually remap.

As I've said. In 99% of the pictures I've seen online I have yet to notice any bad pixels. On the other hand I usually don't go looking for them. It was would to be a pretty bad case of it even if it was a low light picture.

Having said that. Knowing this isn't a big deal at all. I would still be interest to know if the A700 does remap bad pixels as the A100 does.

Old Nov 18, 2007, 12:39 PM   #6
NHL

DarkDTSHD wrote:
Quote:
As I've said. In 99% of the pictures I've seen online I have yet to notice any bad pixels. On the other hand I usually don't go looking for them. It was would to be a pretty bad case of it even if it was a low light picture.
Here's one it could be just a bright star to most people: :-)
-> Picture of the moon @ sunset in the Outer Banks

Old Nov 18, 2007, 1:20 PM   #7

My GOD NHL!! That is the worst case of hot pixels I've seen to date!!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:33 PM   #8
Administrator

You'll probably just need to wait and see if anyone gets an A700 with a stuck pixel and find out.

I have noticed a longer shutdown time once or twice after a battery replacement when I took a shot and turned it off (looking at the busy light). It's not consistent (doesn't always do it). I can't seem to force a pattern of different busy light behavior via a month change either after a power down or power up.

So, it may be doing something different compared to the older models and schedule any maintenance function via a different pattern of camera use. I doubt Sony would drop it (too many warranty headaches mapping them out via service software).

But, it's something that KM and Sony never advertised either (they may not want people knowing their sensor has pixels mapped out).

I know some of the KM models like the A2, A200, 5D and 7D will remap them on a month change so that they're not going to show up in typical exposures. I've seen that fix reported a number of times.

I've seen users report it working for the A100, too.

I've seen it work with my own 5D (hot pixels visible vanish after a month change).

I had one rearing it's ugly head in my 5D at one time. Here's an example that's visible even at smaller web viewing sizes. It's probably the way the demosaic algorithms are handling it and it's showing up as a cluster. I'd have to take a look at the larger original to see (this is one I already had downsized in an album). Note the dot in between the gills on the fish and the young man in this snapshot.

This was taken at f/5.6, ISO 800 and 1/1000 second with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D wearing a Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF Lens at 6:34AM, May 21, 2006. Sunrise was at 6:23AM, and I still had the ISO speed set higher for this one even though I really didn't need it anymore with the light getting better. It's fine now (no stuck pixels), even at higher ISO speeds, much lower light and much slower shutter speeds like I sometimes use (the one in the below photo was showing up at 1/1000 second).

I sometimes tag along with my brother-in-law, his next door neighbor, and their kids and grandkids and take snapshots on the Ogeechee River near Guyton, GA in the early AM on Sunday mornings.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:45 PM   #9

So that's 1 "most likely".
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:13 PM   #10
Administrator

Here's a thread with an example of it working on the A100 by changing the camera's date to force a remap. See the post from the OP about it working further down in this thread:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo....php?id=572769

flatland2d wrote:
Quote:
I've noticed it on all my exposures since last weekend. Before that, the pixel was working fine. But starting with the first picture from the last batch I took, they all have the white mark. One I'm looking at right now is F/5.6, 1/640 sec., ISO-400. I don't think it's a hot pixel and noise.

Noise reduction is set at whatever the default is. I haven't played around with that yet.

I'll try the remapping feature.

EDIT: That fixed it! Thanks for posting that, Jim.
I've seen a number of reports of that working on models like the Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2, A200; Maxxum 5D, Maxxum 7D and Sony DSLR-A100.

We'll have to wait and see what behavior the DSLR-A700 exhibts, if/when someone sees stuck pixels.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote