Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 18, 2007, 5:42 PM   #1

I am about to upgrade from a 5D to an Alpha. Are there any combatibilty gotchas to know about. Actually all I need to worry about are lenses, and i guess batteries and memory cards.

Is the upgrade worthwhile?
rhendrix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 6:17 PM   #2
Administrator

Quote:
I am about to upgrade from a 5D to an Alpha.
No compatibility gotchas other than a different battery.

But, you might want to let members know the exact Alpha model you're talking about. In the Sony lineup you've got both the DSLR-A100 (a.k.a., Alpha 100) and DSLR-A700 (a.k.a,. Alpha 700), assuming you're asking about a Sony model. ;-)

My guess is that you're referring to the new Sony Alpha 700 (DSLR-A700) as an upgrade path.

Of course, you also have the Konica Minolta Alpha Sweet (Japanese 5D) and Alpha 7D (Japanese 7D) in the old KM lineup. :-)

I've got both the Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and the new Sony Alpha 700. The new DSLR-A700 is a nice camera. I'd get one if budget permits. I think the better viewfinder and AF speed alone are worth the upgrade. The rest of the improvements are just icing on the cake.

If you mean the Alpha 100, I probably wouldn't replace a KM 5D with one if you like to shoot at higher ISO speeds.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 9:47 AM   #3

I guess I was confused about the naming, I didn't know the A700 was also an
Alpha.

I am considering the A100, it sounds like you do not think it's much of an upgrade.

Is there more noise in the higher ISO settings?
thanks
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, the A100 has higher noise as ISO speeds are increased, and doesn't have an ISO 3200 setting at all.

If you don't use higher ISO speeds much and need the extra pixels, then it may be worth considering. I really don't see any big benefit to upgrading though.

The A700 would be a much better upgrade.

Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:45 AM   #5

do it!:|

the a100 is a magnesium frame not plastic like the 5d

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:11 PM   #6

MINOLTANUT wrote:
Quote:

the a100 is a magnesium frame not plastic like the 5d

Do you mean the A700?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 2:14 PM   #7

no i mean the 100...

The op stated their interest in the 100 not the 700

the 700 has a metal outer body as well as frame

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 11:39 AM   #8

JimC wrote:
Quote:
If you don't use higher ISO speeds much and need the extra pixels, then it may be worth considering. I really don't see any big benefit to upgrading though.

The A700 would be a much better upgrade.
I'm really just getting into using manual mode, and I've been playing with the higher ISO's, and I just did save enough fro the A100. I don't have enough for the A700 and this is just a hobby and my wife would kill me if I spent that kind of money.

I could use a walk around camera, what does anyone suggest? I really like/need image stabilization.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 1:09 PM   #9
Administrator

Why do you want to upgrade? Is there something the 5D isn't doing for you or do you need larger prints that may benefit a little from the extra megapixels? I doubt you'd see any difference at 8x10 at a typical viewing distance, even if you could see it with a loupe using a higher end printer. lol

For all practical purposes, it's a 5D with 10MP sensor. There are some other changes (for example, different metering, faster write speeds to memory cards, new LCD, DRO). They changed some of the mode dial layout (they replaced the 5D's dedicated White Balance dial with one designed to select from different functions, versus being dedicated to White Balance, and the ISO speed button got removed from the A100). But, most of it is very similar.

But, from an image quality perspective, unless you need very large prints, I doubt you'd see any difference (and some people like the 5D colors better).

If you need to shoot at higher ISO speeds often, you'd probably see a degradation in image quality for those. Now, the A100 is more sensitive than rated. It's ISO 800 is really ISO 1000, and it's ISO 1600 is really ISO 2000, according to Phil Askey's review. But, it's a noisy camera if you tried to use it's highest setting.

You could always keep both (your existing 5D and a new A100), using the 5D if you needed ISO 1600 or 3200 for anything. But, I really don't see a big benefit with going that route unless you need the extra pixels for something.

I'd probably wait until Sony has an upgrade for the A100 available if you don't want to go with the A700.

Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:41 PM   #10

Hey, you've convinced me.I thought maybe more pixels,usb 2.0, it does feel lighter, but I hate noise,I'm changing focus.

So now, since I have this cash burning a hole in my pocket, I was thinking maybe a small camera that I could carry around. No lenses, no big camera bag.

IQ is real important to me. There just dosen't seem to be any great well rounded, do everythingP&S cameras out there. That's why I was asking if u had any suggestions (I guess my last msg wasn't clear, sorry)