Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 26, 2007, 11:02 PM   #1

Has anyone who has a KM 7D gotten a Sony a700 and done a comparison? In particular, autofocus speed, image sharpness, settings available outside of the menu (i.e. knobs, etc.), what accessories from the 7D can be used with the a700 besides lenses and CF cards, if any? What settings you lose or gain going from the 7D to the a700? Etc...

dbrusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2007, 8:09 AM   #2
Administrator

I don't have a 7D, but I've used one before.

I've got a Konica Minolta 5D and a Sony DSLR-A700 now.

Going from a 7D to the A700, you'd get double the resolution (6MP to 12MP), improved detail at the highest ISO speed settings for a given print/viewing size, ISO speed settable in 1/3 stop increments through ISO 6400 (although you really don't want to use ISO 6400 unless you have to).

The 1/3 stop increments do come in handy though. For example, I've been in conditions where ISO 1250 or ISO 2000 worked best and ISO 4000 would probably be useful, too.

You'll also get a different metering system, faster Autofocus with all lenses, faster frame rate (5fps continuous mode) with a larger buffer and faster write speeds to memory cards, an improved shutter design with a faster top shutter speed of 1/8000 second, improved mirror dampening, an improved preflash system, an AF assist beam built into the camera, a very nice LCD display, new Dynamic Range Optimization features, improved Stablization system, and more. You even get a wireless remote with it. ;-)

From what I've seen so far, it also handles highlights better than the KM DSLR models.

You lose a control dial on the top. But, the Quick Nav system works well enough that you'll probably get used to the layout in no time flat. It's a nice camera.

Just read Steve's review here to see the control layouts, menus, etc.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2007_...alpha_700.html

You can use the same lenses, memory cards and KM flash models that worked with your 7D. For example, the 2500 (D), 3600 HS (D), and 5600 HS (D) should all work fine with the A700. The batteries and optional grips are different.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 12:49 AM   #3

Thanks, that helps.

Is there anything you don't you like about the a700? Is there something you like more in the 5D?

Also, does the wireless remote work for bulb exposures? (I like to experiment with night shots on occasion). If not, I have a wired remote for my 7D, would that work with the a700?
dbrusco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 8:01 AM   #4
Administrator

Yes, I think the neckstrap swivel on one side of the a700 camera body needs to be redesigned. It tends to get hung up in the wrong place too often (probably because they slanted where it attaches at an angle on one side of the camera body, compared to the other side. :-)

Yea, I know. Minor quibble. lol The control layout is growing on me, now that I'm getting used to the joystick and button locations for everything. It's a well designed camera. I'd probably make some of the menu choices easier to get to. For example, it's too many steps through the screens to get to where you format the memory card (and that's something I do every time I reuse one). I'm getting accustomed to it though.

I don't know how the remote works with bulb mode. My guess is that you can press it once to start the exposure and press it again to stop it. That's the way I've seen some remotes work. I'll have to test it when I get a chance. My remote is still in the box (I haven't even tried it yet).

Old Nov 28, 2007, 10:51 AM   #5

JimC wrote:
Quote:
... I'd probably make some of the menu choices easier to get to. For example, it's too many steps through the screens to get to where you format the memory card (and that's something I do every time I reuse one). ...
The KM5D has the Menu Section Memory (MenuSec. Memory) function on the Setup Menu. It remembers which menu section was last opened. If the Menu Section Memory function is on, when the menu button is pressed, the menu section that was last displayed is opened.

I've got this fuction turned on, because I format my memory cards everytime I reuse them as well.

The Alpha 700 doesn't have this function?

That does it! I'm not going to buy it!

:-)
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2007, 11:11 AM   #6
Administrator

Maybe it does. I'll have to look for it. I haven't read the manual or looked into every menu option. :-)