Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Nov 29, 2007, 9:35 AM   #1

How is the A700 in burst mode? How is the hit and miss rate? I don't suppose some one could run a test. Do 3 bust mode tests and take an average of the hits and misses. Maybe post a series of pictures to illustrate?

Thanks.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:13 PM   #2
Administrator

What misses? :blah::-)
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:30 PM   #3
Administrator

What kind of test, and why would I want to waste memory card space on bursts, when I can get what I want with a shot or two? :-)

That kind of thing is very subjective, and the skill of the shooter comes into the equation, as well as the type of subject, lighting, lens used, etc.

For example, even my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D wearing a Minolta 100mm f/2 gave acceptable performance for a kid's basketball game, other than my skill level shooting this kind of action. That's just a matter of practice.

The a700 is a much faster camera compared to a Maxxum 5D. It wouldn't have any trouble at all in most conditions I'd want to use a camera in. So, how good do you really need it to be?

If you dig around, I'm sure you can find some examples of fast action photos using the new a700. Hopefully, I'll get around to taking soon, too. I'll try to take some photos in bursts for you, too (despite the waste of memory card space). ;-)

In the meantime, here's a snapshot with the older Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D (a slower camera) at ISO 1600, using a Minolta 135mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens at f/3.2, 1/250 second:

Here's another one with a Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D at ISO 3200 using a Minolta 135mm f/2.8 Autofocus Lens at f/2.8, 1/400 second.

Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:11 PM   #4

Thanks Jim.

Can you post a series of shots as they were taken in the camera? Showing each frame of an action. Maybe 5 or so to illustrate that one burst.

Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:35 PM   #5
Administrator

When I get a chance I'll try to take some. lol

Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:29 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
When I get a chance I'll try to take some. lol
When you get the chance??? I thought you would immediately get your wife to do her impression of an Olympic gymnast doing a floor routine for you to shoot. Just for me.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"Seriously. There's no hurry of course. When ever.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 9:42 PM   #7

From what I been reading here in the different Steve's forums, sports/action photography has only been around since the invention of the burst mode on cameras. Everyone seems to be stating that faster and more frames per burst is a must and nothing else will work. Well, I do like all the new features offered on the new cameras that help think for you but what ever happen to forecasting the shot. Forecasting a shot, seeing what is going on in front of you and planning when to take your shot so as to capture the action. It's what we use to have to do before motor drives (non digital times) one shot, that was all the chance you would get each time. Push the shutter release, then turn a dial, rotate a crank or push (newer models) a lever forward to advance the film one shot at a time. I bring this up because even witha video camera if you don't forecast your shotyou are going to miss the action. The difference between three frames to six frames of burstis not goingto help you much if you push the shutter release at the wrong time.Of course if this was easy everybody would be doing sports/action photography and making big bucks too. :|

With that said JimC, please post those burst test soon. After all I did say I like all the new features (toys) on the new cameras.
Calicajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:03 AM   #8
Administrator

Sorry, my wife wouldn't agree to the gymnastics. ;-) You'll have to wait. lol

Here's a quote discussing taking photos of a low flying stunt plane from a boat using a preproduction a700 in continuous mode. Sony was so confident in the camera for this purpose, they took a group of journalists out on a boat and had a plane flying over buzzing the boat, getting closer and closer each pass so they could see how the AF and Burst mode worked.

Quote:
With a 5 fps JPEG burst rate limited only by the capacity of the card, this new camera never choked on those 12.2MP shots. And the AF did exactly what it was supposed to -- track the plane both as it was approaching, and as it roared across the frame.
http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/4570...dslr-a700.html

Old Dec 1, 2007, 1:24 PM   #9

i guess it would depend on if they ever got closer than infinity on the lens..
MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 1, 2007, 1:27 PM   #10
Administrator

Did you read the "evil grin on his face" part?

Quote:
I first opted for 3 fps, but, as the stunt pilot buzzed the boat at progressively closer distances (you could clearly see the evil grin on his face), I went to 5 fps, with AF set to autotrack across the 11 points of the frame.