Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 5, 2007, 12:21 AM   #1

I have a thought today, instead of paying high price to the AF lenses, why not use the lower price MD/MC/M42 lenses If I don't mind to lose the AF? Questions are:

1- Are these MD/MC/M42 lenses have the same or higher IQ compare with AF lenses?

2- Are MD/MC the same? What these two compare with M42? Which is better for Minolta D5D and Sony A700?

3- Which adapter ring works the best?

4- Where to have the lenses data for MD/MC/M42 like the dyxum for the AF lenses?

5- Overall, does it worth to invest into these lenses and adapter(s)?

Thanks
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2007, 5:47 AM   #2
Administrator

Minolta made a MC/MD to Maxxum lens adapter (but, it had 2x Teleconverter built in which was needed to allow infinity focus with 35mm Maxxum film bodies and some lenes). But, they're hard to find and you really don't want a 2X TC built in anyway if you can help it.

Most third party adapters also have optical elements that allow the adapters to focus to infinity with lower magnification in the adapter. Some have more magnification than others (most are about 1.2x now though).

It's my understanding that the "General Brand" adapter that B&H normally carries falls into this category (1.2x teleconverter built into the adapter in order to allow focus to infinity). They're backordered right this minute, though.

The problem is that an adapter adds some space (like an extension tube), so you tend to lose infinity focus with some.

Here is a newer third party Adapter that you may want to take a look at that would allow you to mount your Minolta Manual Focus Lenses on a Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR. It's a little "pricer" than some around.

http://haodascreen.com/minoltaMDAF.aspx

One other thing... the viewfinders and focus screens in most DSLR models leave a bit to be desired for manual focus. So, you may want to consider a third party split image prism type focusing screen if you want to use manual focus lenses a lot.

The coatings on older lenses may not be as good either (so, you may have some loss of contrast from flare with digital). The optical quality of the adapter, and the quality of it's coatings probably comes into the equation, too (and I don't know which ones are better).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:11 AM   #3

One other thing about the Haoda, and probably some others (Please, JimC, correct me if I'm wrong.) is that, in addition to losing autofocus, you also have to set the aperture manually, which means that you could be focusing and composing with the lens stopped down. This will also affect the autoexposure system.

If you've got a large collection of MC/MD/M42 lenses, this might be an interesting intellectual exercise, but I wouldn't actually set out to build a system like this. I like AF/AE way too much to give it all up for a few cheap (albeit, good) lenses.

If you're looking for inexpensive lenses, have you looked at http://www.keh.com ?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2007, 6:41 AM   #4

lsifs wrote:
Quote:
I have a thought today, instead of paying high price to the AF lenses, why not use the lower price MD/MC/M42 lenses If I don't mind to lose the AF?
Here's a cheap M42 lens :-)
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 9:40 AM   #5

mc to ma adapters are going for 35 bucks on ebay right now...they are a 1 to 1 ratio with focus to infinity...if you use any kind of long trow lens and only use it for close up portrait ect you can pull the lens or the adapter out for great focus quality...

the also have a 2x adapter...

if you pull the lens out of that it makes an excelent close up macro lens using a 58 mm or any other

MINOLTANUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:42 PM   #6

this is with my expensive sigma dg
Attached Images

Old Dec 6, 2007, 10:45 PM   #7

this is with a 58mm 1.4 rokkor using an adapter
Attached Images

Old Dec 7, 2007, 12:01 AM   #8

HERE IS THE 58MM ON A 2X ADAPTER WITH THE LENS TAKEN OUT to use as a macro tube
Attached Images