Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 12, 2007, 10:36 PM   #1

My 2 week old A700 was having trouble correctly focusing on still objects with the 50mm f1.4 lens. I called Sony and probably spoke to 10 different people that were of no help at all. They told me to send the camera and lens to Precision camera in CT which I guess is their only repair facility that handles the A700 at this time. It turns out that there was nothing wrong with the camera, but the SAL50F14 lens was bad. In order to connect the camera to their test/calibration equiptment they had to remove the serial number label on the bottom of the camera. Instead of replacing the label with the correct one that was on the camera, they replaced it with a smaller sticker and left the test connector port wide open. They gave me a brand new lens which now works perfectly, but I'm not too happy with the bottom of the camera being open to dust and moisture. I was on the phone all afternoon today trying to get this situation resolved by eitherhaving them getme the correct label that is supposed to cover the port or at least supply me with some kind of cap to cover the hole. They told me they were not able to supply the exact label that was on the camera and they didn't make a cap that covers the port. Maybe the open port on the bottom of the camera won't cause any problems, but after spending almost $1300 on the camera I'm unhappy with their attitude and not being able to resolve an issue as small as a label... Here's a pic of what the camera looks like after I received it back today:

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 13, 2007, 8:02 AM   #2
Administrator

I wouldn't be very happy about a connector being left uncovered either.

Chances are, it's not going to hurt anything. But, that's beside the point. Why risk oxidation in that connector, especially given the cost of this model and it's feature set advertising dust and moisture seals.

Precision has a very mixed reputation. I'd escalate within Sony if they don't agree to make it right and you want it covered.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:32 PM   #3

From my experience with TV and audio system, the sony service is kind of crappy. Costly and crappy.
nymphetamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2007, 2:58 AM   #4

Well, they are supposed to be sending me "something" to cover the connector. We'll see what it is when I get it. :roll:
Old Dec 21, 2007, 12:05 AM   #5

Well, I received my "something" to cover the connector. A piece of adhesive foam. I was hoping for something a little more professional, but whatever. The connector is covered and my camera works great. I guess this will just be a word of warning to anyone sending their A700 to precision camera for repair, but aside from the connector their turnaround time was extremely quick and the problem I sent it out for has been resolved. (My lens was bad, nothing wrong with the camera) They replaced my lens with a brand new sealed one shipped to me from Sony.