Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:49 PM   #1

Well guys,

I'm having a blast with the new setup. I haven't taken nearly as many shots as I would like.

Check out this shot with the 18-250, ISO200, Auto mode, F6.3, 250mm at about 25 feet.

Not too shabby for a super-zoom- huh?

http://i217.photobucket.com/albums/c...zenSparrow.jpg
theponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:47 PM   #2
Administrator

Super.

One suggestion... Rather than shoot with the aperture wide open at f/6.3, you might want to try f/8 instead at the 250mm end of the lens, moving the ISO speed up to ISO 400. Just go with Av Mode (Aperture Value/Aperture Priority) and select f/8 via the control wheel.

That would probably be a tad better balance between sharpness and noise in that lighting. Most lenses lose a bit of sharpness and contrast at their widest apetture settings (represented by smaller f/stop numbers).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 4:58 PM   #3

I understand that Jim. I was wanting to show off the quality of the lens at it's worst.

What I don't get, is why you would suggest ISO400? The lower the ISO the less noise - right?

Ponz
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:05 PM   #4
Administrator

theponz wrote:
Quote:
I understand that Jim. I was wanting to show off the quality of the lens at it's worst.

What I don't get, is why you would suggest ISO400? The lower the ISO the less noise - right?
As I said in my last post, balance.

Sure, you're going to increase noise slightly at ISO 400. But, you're going to get faster shutter speeds for any given lighting and aperture. So, you'll be less likely to see motion blur from subject movement and/or blur from camera shake.

That also lets you use a smaller aperture (represented by a higher f/stop number), since most lenses are not as sharp using their widest aperture setting (lowest f/stop number).

The Sony a700 is Superb at ISO speeds this low (ISO 400), or ISO speeds much higher for that matter.

Take advantage of it's capabilities.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:26 PM   #5

OK - I'll give her a whirl...