Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 14, 2007, 2:55 PM   #1

Does the A700 still enforce the 4 second delay between shots that the 7D has?
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:06 PM   #2
Administrator

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
Does the A700 still enforce the 4 second delay between shots that the 7D has?
You're kidding, right? The a700 is a speed demon. AFAIK, it's got the fastest write speeds to memory cards, compared to any other DSLR on the planet right now.

The best *bang for the buck" for it right this minue seems to be the Transcend 16GB 166x CompactFlash Card. It's a UDMA capable card. But, it is not as fast as a 266x/300x card.

However, it does test about the same as a Sandisk Extreme III from what I can tell.
If you want faster, go with an Extreme IV.. But, the best bang for the buck seems to be this Transcend 133x 16GB card right this minute (only $119.95, which works out to around $7.50/GB). You've got to love progress. :-)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820208337

Here are times I got from one in an A700:

Shooting JPEG Fine versus Extra Fine, I was able to Capture 100 images in 20 seconds without any indication of a slowdown.

Shooting JPEG Extra Fine images in continuous drive mode, the A700 was able to capture 36 images in 7.3 seconds before the camera slowed down, still capturing
40 images in 8.4 seconds.

Shooting RAW, I was able to capture 14 images in 2.8 seconds before the camera slowed down to approximately 1 frame every 1.3 seconds with a full buffer.

Shooting cRAW, I was able to capture 15 frames in 3 seconds, with the camera slowing down to approximately 1 frame every 0.9 seconds with a full buffer (it was probably close to 1 every 0.85 seconds as I was shooting an electronic stopwatch on screen to time it.. Some were at 0.8, some were at 0.9 seconds apart.

Shooting cRAW + JPEG Fine, I was able to capture 11 frames in 2.2 seconds before the camera slowed down to apprximately 1 frame every 1.1 seconds with a full buffer.

A full buffer took approximately 12 seconds to flush shooting cRAW.

I gave the Transcend 16GB 133x CompactFlash card a good workout, taking some 836 photos (1672 files total) using cRAW (compressed raw) + JPEG Fine with a Sony DSLR-A700, using some 13.5GB on a 16GB card in one afternoon. ;-)

I went to a family reunion a while back at around 12:30PM (shooting indoors in a well lit reception hall with a Minolta 28mm f/2 AF Lens with no flash) and an outdoor wedding later at 5:00PM on a Saturday afternoon (shooting with a Minolta 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 AF Lens from the audience ), attending an outdoor reception following the wedding and shooting more with it there.

The card worked just fine and I never filled the camera's buffer from what I could tell.

Note that the 266x/300x cards are faster.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 2007, 3:23 PM   #3
Administrator

Oops.

I didn't see the "About Wireless Flash" part.:?

Perhaps someone else will comment on how well that works.

I don't have any Konica Minolta or Sony flashes to test delay with.

I use a non-dedicated Sunpak 222 Auto and Sunpak 333 Auto via a Minolta FS-1100 compatible adapter with my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700.

Old Dec 14, 2007, 5:14 PM   #4

You could still test it.

Set the onboard flash up to wireless mode and then hold down the shutter. If there is no delay you should get the same 5 fps you'd get with no flash.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2007, 4:29 PM   #5
Administrator

I don't think that's a valid way to test it, since the camera is probably waiting for a certain length of time to see a preflash from the external flash. It's just signalling it with the internal flash, before the mirror flips out of the way

If I try that with no external flash (just setting the camera to wireless flash and leaving the internal flash popped up), I'm getting somewhere close to 1.5 frames per second, with the camera's flash firing between frames (although there is no external flash to respond to it).

Old Dec 15, 2007, 9:39 PM   #6

You may be right, but I see the same result from my 7D with the 5600 on as I do with it off.