Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Dec 24, 2007, 9:42 AM   #11

FrankD wrote: Yes. Very much like that one. [suB]:-)[/suB]
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:36 AM   #12

I'm sort of with you regarding the current selection of "Sony" lenses TCav. Also, I really don't think there are many worth while high quality lenses. The DT series might get the job done but they aren't built that much better than the kit lenses. So that leaves the 3 available G series rebadged Minolta lenses. VERY pricey!!

The 70-200 f/2.8 G runs $2100.00 CAD. Canon's at $1800.00 CAD ($300.00 rebate if bought with the 5D or $150.00 without). Nikon's at $1600.00 CAD.

Will be interesting to see how they price the new SSM CZ lenses. And I hope they improve the build quality to be on par with Canon and Nikkor prosumer and pro glass.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 8:58 AM   #13

Something I've noticed over the past few years, is that the selection of third-party lenses is getting smaller. Tokina used to offer lenses with Minolta mounts, but has stopped. Sigma and Tamron still offer lenses with the Sony/Minolta mount, but I think the percentage oftheirlenses that do has diminished.

Sony needs to do something about its selection of lenses, or Sony dSLRs will be a flash in the pan. The selection of used Minolta lenses may prolong the inevitable, but Carl Zeiss can't keep the Alphas going forever.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 27, 2007, 10:38 AM   #14

zTCav wrote:
Quote:
Something I've noticed over the past few years, is that the selection of third-party lenses is getting smaller. Tokina used to offer lenses with Minolta mounts, but has stopped. Sigma and Tamron still offer lenses with the Sony/Minolta mount, but I think the percentage oftheirlenses that do has diminished.

Sony needs to do something about its selection of lenses, or Sony dSLRs will be a flash in the pan. The selection of used Minolta lenses may prolong the inevitable, but Carl Zeiss can't keep the Alphas going forever.
I too find the selection of thrid-party support to be lacking. Not enough selection in lenses. And the rate at which high quality CZ lenses are being put out doesn't seem fast enough. Right now, on the Canadian SonyStyle website, there is mostly kit and DT series lenses. And 3 G series. And the quality of the DT series isn't the best. Just a little better than the kit lenses. Cameralabs.com (UK) concurs.

But new SSM lenses (14-24, 24-70, and 70-200...all f/2.8) are rumored. Will the announce themn in JanuaryZ? Who knows. And what if you're right...that their DSLR division is a "flash in the pan"? Would bea shame as the A700 looks to be a decent DSLR.

As a new buyer into DSLRs I'd want to buy into a system with an ample supply of quality lenses. And right now the top dogs are Canon and Nikon. If I don't hear anything from Sony regarding those SSM lenses in January then it's going to be between the 40D and D300 for me.
DarkDTSHD is offline   Reply With Quote