Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 1, 2008, 5:23 PM   #1

I'm looking for your advice on picking a sharp prime lens for the A100. I am currently using the Minolta 50mm 1.7 and have been disappointed in its sharpness. When I shoot with the Nikon I use the Nikkor 50/1.4 and that is the sharpness I'm wanting to find for the a100. It will be used primarily for street portraiture. The cz85/1.4 is way out of my range. I've pretty much narrowed the choice to the Sony 50/1.4 or the Sony 50/2.8 macro. Any thoughts on the sharpness of these? Is the increase in sharpness over the 50/1.7 as great as some reviews have implied? Thanks.

keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2008, 6:39 PM   #2
Administrator

The 50mm f/2.8 macro is probably sharper.

But, I'd get the 50mm f/1.4 instead.

It's going to be very sharp stopped down to f/2 or f/2.8 (two stops down from wide open), and you'd have the advantage of a lens that's more useful in low light, since you'd have wider apertures available if you needed to use them.

The bokeh is also very good from what I've seen, as is it's color and contrast. I've been thinking about getting one myself.

Right now, in Minolta AF primes, I've got the 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2 and 135mm f/2.8. But, I've been thinking about nabbing the 50mm f/1.4 as well.

If I had some extra cash, I'd probably get the 35mm f/1.4, too.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:39 PM   #3

Thanks, Jim. I have been leaning towards the 1.4. Do you think it will be significantly sharper than the 50mm/1.7? Thanks for your advice.

keithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 9:50 PM   #4

I agree with JimC. For street portraiture, the larger aperture will come in very handy, both for low-light and for shallower depth of field.

Also, at PhotoDo.com, people have commented on the focus of the 50/2.8 which might be tolerated in macro and studioshoots, but might be a pain when shooting candids.

Unfortunately, PhotoZone.de User Reviews show that users think the 50/1.4 is sharper than the 50/1.7, but not by much.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:42 PM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, PhotoZone.de User Reviews show that users think the 50/1.4 is sharper than the 50/1.7, but not by much.
I have tried the SONY 50/1.4 at wide open, it is much sharper than the 50/1.7.
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2008, 9:08 PM   #6

I can't say much for any of the others because I don't own them, but I love my Sony 50mm f1.4!
Attached Images

CyberShotNut is offline   Reply With Quote