Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 7, 2008, 4:06 PM   #11
Administrator

P.S.

I don't think Sony's finished with their product launches yet. We'll have to wait until more announcements to find out.

We should see a number of press releases about new models from a variety of manufactuers in the near future, thanks to manufacturers using both the CES and PMA shows for product launches.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 7:31 PM   #12

kberntsen wrote:
Quote:
I think you'll want to wait for the A300/A500 what ever they call it. To replace your 5D. Just speculation, but there's still a big gap between what the A200 and A700 offer.
Sounds like the best advise at this time.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 8:35 PM   #13

Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Olympus all have dSLRs with live view. Sony seems to be lagging the field with this feature.

I've recently been playing with a P&S and findits live view really handy in low light. Has anyone heard any rumors about Sony indroducing a dSLR with live view?
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:34 PM   #14

lomitamike wrote:
Quote:
I read that the A200 is a "new model" not a replacement for the A100.
That's not what I'm seeing. The A200 is an improvement over the A100, yet on the SonyStyle website, the A100 costs $100 more. Even Sony knows that if you improve something, you can get away with charging more for it. So either the A100 has a significant price drop coming ($200 or more), or it's going to get pulled.

Since the A200 is price competitive with other entry level dSLRs (except the K100 Super and D40, which are only 6 MP) I don't think there's a good reason to keep the A100 going.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2008, 10:42 PM   #15

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Canon, Fuji, Nikon and Olympus all have dSLRs with live view. Sony seems to be lagging the field with this feature.

I've recently been playing with a P&S and findits live view really handy in low light.
'Live View' requires the mirror to flip up and block the pentaprism (or pentamirror) and optical viewfinder, and that's where the autofocus and autoexposure are, so you can't autofocus with live view. Also, prolonged use of 'Live View' with a large image sensor causes the sensor to get hot which creates thermal noise in the image.

I think 'Live View' is a gimmick that most people, once they get it,find out they don't want to use it very often. Maybe Sony is just sitting it out, hoping the hype will die out.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:13 AM   #16

TCav wrote:
Quote:
FrankD wrote:
Quote:

I've recently been playing with a P&S and findits live view really handy in low light.
'Live View' requires the mirror to flip up and block the pentaprism (or pentamirror) and optical viewfinder, and that's where the autofocus and autoexposure are, so you can't autofocus with live view. Also, prolonged use of 'Live View' with a large image sensor causes the sensor to get hot which creates thermal noise in the image.
For the most part you are absolutely correct. However, the exception is the Nikon D300 (I didn't look at the D3). If you check the spec. for the D300 it has a mode where it uses the main sensor for AF rather than the phase detector in the viewfinder. It's apparently a little slow but does allow AF without mirror flipping.
Old Jan 8, 2008, 10:55 AM   #17

A little more info on the A200 here:

http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/Sony_Alpha_DSLR_A200/
Old Jan 8, 2008, 11:05 AM   #18
Administrator

For 100% crops, that doesn't look bad at all (appears to be a significant improvement over the A100), especially since NR was set to Normal versus Low.

If real world images are as good as these crops, then this model should be a hot seller if AF speed is also as improved as the A700 was over previous models.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote