Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 8, 2008, 12:03 PM   #1

:?:?:?:?

I've had my KM 5D for almost two years and have been very happy. I've got 7 lenses (probably need to sell a couple I don't really use) as well as a nice little collection of accessories.

I have been thinkingto upgrade the body to take myself the next level but there seems to be a whole plethora of rumours of new models on top of the A700 and A200 recently launced/announced.

I know taking a step up from the KM5D to the A100 is probably not worth it but will the A200 be worthwhile or still too close? The A700 seems to be quite a big jump, certainly financially, so a potential A300/A500 could fit the bill in all respects.

What I'm concerned about is will any of these be confirmed soon as the last thing I'd want to do is take the plunge on an A200 body only to find out a couple of months later something better is released, just ask Nikon D40 owners!

I know the KM5D is a more than capable body, just looking to possibly take advantange of a bigger sensor (I do a lot of cropping so this should help) and up to date functions/technology within the new bodies.

I understand this is all up in the air but any thoughts would be appreciated :-)

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 8, 2008, 7:00 PM   #2

Juzzie wrote:
Quote:
:?:?:?:?

I've had my KM 5D for almost two years and have been very happy. I've got 7 lenses (probably need to sell a couple I don't really use) as well as a nice little collection of accessories.

I have been thinkingto upgrade the body to take myself the next level but there seems to be a whole plethora of rumours of new models on top of the A700 and A200 recently launced/announced.

I know taking a step up from the KM5D to the A100 is probably not worth it but will the A200 be worthwhile or still too close? The A700 seems to be quite a big jump, certainly financially, so a potential A300/A500 could fit the bill in all respects.

I know the KM5D is a more than capable body, just looking to possibly take advantange of a bigger sensor (I do a lot of cropping so this should help) and up to date functions/technology within the new bodies.

I understand this is all up in the air but any thoughts would be appreciated :-)

I'm in the same boat as you.

My suggestion, just wait.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 3:55 PM   #3

The A900 (or whatever they end up calling it) andthe A700 were announced over a year ago.

To my knowledge, the A200 was a surprise to everyone, but in retrospect, an update to the A100 was inevitable, and, given Sony's apparent policy on lifecycles of its other products, it was probably overdue.

The A100 is a significant upgrade to the 5D, and the A200 is a significant improvement to the A100. I have thought about replaceing my 5D with an A100 several times, but never bit the bullet. I finally concluded that there wasn't enough difference between the two for me to justify the purchase. Now I've got to do it all over again with the A200, and this time, it's going to be tougher. The A200 has the same 10MP image sensor as the A100, but a much faster autofocus and the DRO feature that all the A700 users have been talking about. AND IT'S CHEAPER!!!

If you're afraid to buy something because you think there might be something better just around the corner, you'll never buy anything.

The same is true of computers. What processor is in the computer you're using now? When you bought it, you must have been apprehensive about the fact that a newer, faster, more powerful processor was just around the corner. What did you do then?

When you first started out in digital photography, you may have thought of the lenses as accessoriesforyour new camera. Now that your collection of lenses has grown to seven, maybe you can start thinking about your camera as an accessory for your lens collection.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2008, 6:10 PM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
When you first started out in digital photography, you may have thought of the lenses as accessoriesforyour new camera. Now that your collection of lenses has grown to seven, maybe you can start thinking about your camera as an accessory for your lens collection.
This is a great quote. I never quite thought of it that way, but it's so true.

aloha
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:46 PM   #5

Actually based on pricing, the A200 is filling in a hole below where the 5D and A100 were introduced. I think there might be a replacement to the A100 (Call it the A300 or A500) that sits in that just under $1000 price range body only. What it will have who knows. As I see it the A200 is the A100 with the new sony body styling and taking advantage of some component sharing.

Coming from a guy who's still hanging on to his 7D and about to buy a second :-)

I'd wait for all of the dust to settle. Ofcourse I'm waiting for the A900 to materialize but even then, I'll be investing in some better glass before I jump to the new body. Some Zeiss primes and the new Zeiss 24-70 are in my sights.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:46 PM   #6

Actually based on pricing, the A200 is filling in a hole below where the 5D and A100 were introduced. I think there might be a replacement to the A100 (Call it the A300 or A500) that sits in that just under $1000 price range body only. What it will have who knows. As I see it the A200 is the A100 with the new sony body styling and taking advantage of some component sharing.

Coming from a guy who's still hanging on to his 7D and about to buy a second :-)

I'd wait for all of the dust to settle. Ofcourse I'm waiting for the A900 to materialize but even then, I'll be investing in some better glass before I jump to the new body. Some Zeiss primes and the new Zeiss 24-70 are in my sights.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 5:37 PM   #7

The computer comparison is very appropriate and I had indeed thought of that. It's just that I wanted to be sure that all new models were confirmed, and I guess to last at least two years, before taking a plunge.

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:22 PM   #8

And now that SonyStyle is taking orders on the 10MP A300 and the 14MP A350, both of which have 'Live View', your decision is a little more complicated. But you can rest assured that, except for the A900, no new product introductions will be forthcoming for a while.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote