Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:23 AM   #11

Quote:
Run, don't walk, to the closest store that has the Alpha 700 in stock and get one. :-)
BAD BAD JIM!!!!! Tempting others:-)

I would gladly trade in that 85 1.4 and come up with the extra money if it's that much better...
darlenerenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:30 AM   #12

darlenerenee wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Run, don't walk, to the closest store that has the Alpha 700 in stock and get one. :-)
BAD BAD JIM!!!!! Tempting others:-)

I would gladly trade in that 85 1.4 and come up with the extra money if it's that much better...
Yeah, AF speed is one of those things that you don't know what you're missing until you experience it. And especially when you're talking about continuous focus - it's very difficult to quantify and receives no coverage in the boilerplate reviews. The best review is actual field test from someone, like Jim, that has used both.

And I don't even have to see Jim's photos to know that he ended up with more keepers with more sharpness even with the same lenses and the same photographer. Not likely to have a huge impact on the casual family shooter - i.e. you're not going to get a vast improvement on standard vacation / family shots but if you shoot any kind of action - especially in low light then it's HUGE.

Disapointing to hear that Pentax didn't follow suit and improve their AF performance in the K20.

JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:42 AM   #13
Administrator

I'm *very* impressed with the A700's AF speed and accuracy using Continuous AF. It's even better than I expected it to be (based on my experience with mostly still subjects).

I'm in the middle of a project installing and testing some forums software, and I still haven't finished rearranging disk drives and more to make room for more photos (although I already have the hardware).

If I don't finish up in the next day or two so I can use my PC, I may just copy the images to my wife's laptop. I think she's got enough free space on a Dell Inspiron 1720 she got last month. Most of the images were underexposed about 1/3 to 1/2 stop, depending on where the players were on the floor.. So, I'll probably use the raw files and push them a tad (I used manual exposure and shot raw + jpeg).

I really like what I see from browsing through the images (especially from the 100mm f/2). This is a really sweet combo (a700 + 100mm f/2).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2008, 10:40 AM   #14
Administrator

Sony claims the AF system in the A700 is 1.7x faster compared to the A100, with better tracking algorithms.

I think it's improved more than that, depending on the lens used.

Interestingly, Sony is saying the same about the new A200. I'm a bit more skeptical of the A200 claims, since I haven't seen Sony claim they upgraded the AF motor or AF sensor assembly (at least not yet), like they did for the A700 model.

We'll have to wait on users to report how well it works (and I have not used one yet). At a $699 price point for the A200 body and lens kit (with what appears to be a very usable ISO 3200 from samples I've seen so far), it shouldn't take long before some user reports start coming in. It should start shipping by the end of this month in some regions.

Of course, the A200 may not be the only new DSLR that Sony plans to announce. This is going to be an interesting year for sure. Stay tuned. lol

These are quotes from the A200 press release (and this camera is selling for *less* than the A100 it replaces, with much improved high ISO speed performance from samples I've seen so far).

"an auto focus speed 1.7x faster than the previous model; improved predictive control performance;"

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/so...r-a200_pr.html

Old Jan 24, 2008, 11:56 AM   #15

jim,

if i remember correctly, you had the minolta 5d. so now you have the A700? did you really notice a big difference shooting basketball? (think about how impressionable i am when you answer this.) :-)

is the a200/100 the sonycomparable to the 5d?

darlene
Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:09 PM   #16
Administrator

The A700 Autofocus is *much* better compared to the 5D or A100. It's a really sweet camera. I'm very impressed.

I have not used the new A200 yet.

Old Jan 24, 2008, 12:25 PM   #17

great! i can't wait to see the shots with your a700.

d
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:18 PM   #18

JimC wrote:
Quote:
We'll have to wait on users to report how well it works (and I have not used one yet). At a $699 price point for the A200 body and lens kit (with what appears to be a very usable ISO 3200 from samples I've seen so far), it shouldn't take long before some user reports start coming in. It should start shipping by the end of this month in some regions.
http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...=274139#274139
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote