Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 17, 2008, 4:30 PM   #1

I just bought the Alpha 700. Terrific machine. Before that I had the Sony R1 with the HVL-F32X flash. I would like to re-use this flash on the Alpha 700 as I hardly use flash. But the shoe is different.

The HVL-F56 flash sounds a terrific machine but comes at 350 Euro down here. Not cheap so I try to locate a kind af shoe convertor so I can still use the HVL-F32. Did anybody have this problem and could find the solution?

Thanks for your answers
Blacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 17, 2008, 9:41 PM   #2

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but my guess is that the HVL-F32X won't work correctly with the A700. Even if you could find an adapter I doubt that the A700 will communicate correctly with this flash unit.

There are other dedicated flash units that work with the A700 such as the HVL-F36AM and the new HVL-F42AM. I haven't seen a price for the HVL-F42AM yet but I would guess that it will be priced less than the HVL-F56AM.

Another option you may wish to consider is a non-dedicated flash unit. JimC uses a SunPak 333 with his A700 and has posted here many times on this topic. For example see http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...;highlight=333
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2008, 1:06 PM   #3

:yawn:That means I'll have to buy a new one. From other responses and reviewsI gather thatit is best to swallow the bitter pilland go for the HVL-F56. Looking at the specs it also seems the most versatile even if not frequently used. And I am not so keen on non-branded, 3rd partyversions.

Thanks for your inputs
Old Jan 21, 2008, 8:55 PM   #4

Blacky wrote:
Quote:
:yawn:That means I'll have to buy a new one. From other responses and reviewsI gather thatit is best to swallow the bitter pilland go for the HVL-F56. Looking at the specs it also seems the most versatile even if not frequently used. And I am not so keen on non-branded, 3rd partyversions.

Thanks for your inputs
They are a little expensive. I know you say you don't like third party flashes but have you looked at the Metz units? For example the Metz 54 MZ4. In Canada it's cheaper than the HVL-F56AM. Maybe that is also true in your locale.

The reason I mention this is that this Metz unit has an Auto mode that does not require the use of the pre-flash - a feature that is absent on the HVL-F56AM. If you plan to shoot people/animal picture the pre-flash can provoke the lazy eye problems.

I can't speak for the A700 but I use a A100 with a Minolta 5600HS (D) (same as the HVL-F56AM) and lazy eye is a major problem. My daughter recently borrowed my gear to shoot a group portrait. She took 52 shot and only 2 of them had all members of the group with their eyes open. Maybe the A700 has different timing and might give you better results. Have you noticed lazy eye using the pop-up flash?

Good luck with your choice.

--Frank

Old Feb 4, 2008, 5:06 PM   #5

Hi Frank, I haven't tried a lot on portraits yet. With the internal flash I didn't see any lazy eye (I always shut off the red eye reduction feature). ON the Alpha 700 the pre-flashcomes very quickly before the real flash. With groups and even without flash you will always find people with shut or half open eyes and the greater the number the higher the chance. That experience I have.

I will report back later one when I got the flash in the Far East end of the month.
Old Feb 5, 2008, 6:10 AM   #6

Hi Blacky.

You might be in luck. I saw some recent discussion in the Sony SLR forum at dpreview.com that suggests that the lazy eye problem was fixed in the A700. I couldn't find the thread again otherwise I'd post the link.

Good luck.