Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 18, 2008, 7:37 AM   #1

I'm going to be shooting picsat a Mardi Gras Ball on Saturday in a large dark room/3000+ people with my Minolta 5D and Metz 54 MZ-3 flash. I have the standard 18-70mm lens and a 70-210 Beercan lens. I do have a Stofen diffuser also, should I use that or not?How would you set your camera up to shoot this type of event?

There will be the typical close range posing shots with 2-4 people in costume, dancing shots, rasied stage shots for the King and Queen ceremony, then band.

Recommendations for ISO, shutter, aperture, focus, exposure settings, whether to use the Metzmain flash and secondary flash on or just the main flash and so on.

Thanks,

Randy
Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2

Does the model flash you have support the wireless ttl?

If so, I would take it off the camera stick it on a mono pod or just hold it in my hand out a way from the camera to give some 3 dimensional light.

As far as to stofen or not, that depends on what you want your light to do. If you want the bare bulb effect or a direct focused beam.

Your other question about ISO shutter & aperature depends on what you're after. If you'd like to capture a lot of the background ambient light then you'll want a faster ISO &open aperatureso you can keep the shutter open long enough to capture the available light after the flash fires. If you're only concerned about your subject then you can keep the ISO down a bit and go with the quicker shutter speeds to stop the action and get a good blur free image.

I know I've not really given you any direct answers but unless I were there with you to see the scene and know what shots I was after I can't tell you what I would do. Hopefully I've given you enough info to think about and help you along.

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 11:40 PM   #3

I decided to use ISO 100 and 125/sec shutter. Thanks for the advice and here are some of the pics from the Ball -

Randy

Cavemandude is offline   Reply With Quote