Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:48 PM   #1

Well it's been a couple of weeks since my first try with my new lens ( had lasik last friday so I missed out last week).

But playing with the different settings available on the 5D ( thanks to JimCs suggestions ) I was able to get a lot more keepers.

I'll keep my findings short and get to the point but make themsimple enoughfor everyone.After trying every possible combination I find that:

The Basics

1. "Shutter speeds and Aperture settings"; keep your SS around 1/500. To do this inside a gym you need a lens with a aperture of at least f/2.8, faster/smaller numbers such as f/2 or smalleris more usefull.

2. "ISO"; set the ISO in accordance to aperture used to keep up shutter speeds to 1/500 ( but remember the higher ISO the more noise ).

KM 5D preffered settings

3. Metering; "Multi-segment" worked the best. Center weighted was OK but not quite as good. If the teams have dark colored shirts that fill your frame and you use spot and sometimes Center wieghted settings your shots can be under exposed.

4. AF Area; "Focus area selection" worked the best. If your fast enough and coordinated enough you can press the control pad to the desired area of focus and then press the shutter 1/2 way down tolock focus. I find this very hard to do and usually skipped pressing the control pad. theplayers just moves to fast. Unfortunatually not pressing the control pad first your at the cameras mercy to decide what to lockfocus on.

5. AF Mode; "Continuous AF" worked the best.The focus constantlyshifts to the "focus area selected" as the players move around as long as you press the shutter button 1/2 way. This appears to bethe "weak link" of this camera for indoor sports. It just does not shift as fast as I would like.

6. Drive Mode; "Continuous advance"worked the best. Using Continuous adv you need to anticipate movement. Lock focus onto a target before they get to that anticipated moment. Then start shooting in burst ( 3,4,5 or more frames ) right before that anticipated moment. This let's the camera track the movement and with any luck some of them will be in focus.

With the testing I've done, thesesettings on this camera will give you the best chance for highest number of keepers.

On a further note; I tried the menu-priority setup-AF release, rather than AF lock. That did not work out well. The "continuous AF" just could not keep up.

Keep in mind that I am only a hobbiest not a pro. So if anyone can add or have a difference of opinion thats a good thing.

Some results

Attached Images

lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2

Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:49 PM   #3

Attached Images

Old Jan 26, 2008, 12:50 PM   #4

Attached Images