Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Jan 31, 2008, 9:49 AM   #1

Well it looks like now the decision is a little harder. Sigma has introduce two additional options for zoom and it appears thay are both HSM offerings.

The 50-150 f/2.8 (A good mate for the 16-50 f/2.8)

And the 70-200 f/2.8 A couple hundered more than the Tamron but it has HSM.

What are you going to do now TCav?

Disclaimer: Price estimates based on currently shipping other mounts.

kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:19 PM   #2

The 50-150 looks nice, but I think it's a little short for me. I like the range my Beercan has; I just wish it were a little brighter.

I'll probably go for the Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. I don't care about the HSM, and the Tamron seems to be about $200 cheaper than the Sigma. (Adorama is taking advanced orders for $699, while the Sigma goes for $889.) I'll be watching the reviews, however. I spend enough time on the 'bleeding edge' with computers, and that's usually with OPM (other people's money). I wait for someone else to find out how good or bada lens is.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 12:46 PM   #3

I hear ya.

HSM is attractive to me. I've been thinking about doing some wedding stuff and the silence of the HSM lense would be nice.

But I'm waiting for reviews on Tamron and Sigma before I make my decision. Who know's I may even spend in excess and get the G but that will be a hard bullet to bite.
kberntsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2008, 1:07 PM   #4

I'll also be keeping an eye on what Sony comes up with in that range. Given what Sony has done with Tamron's 18-250, I think that a Tamron 70-200/2.8 with a Sony nameplate would be a good idea. But if Sony just comes up with another $1,300 lens, I'll pass.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote