Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Feb 12, 2008, 3:43 AM   #1

Hi all.

Whith the A100 kit lens, I've noticed that I mainly spend time at the wide end; i.e 18-20mm.
To this end, I've figured that I want a wider-angle lens, and the only real superwide one I've found* is the one mentioned above. Seen some conflicting remarks regarding its vignetting though.

What would people suggest? Zoom or prime doesn't really matter, but I've yet to see a very wide prime.

*for a humane price
Lindinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2008, 8:25 PM   #2

Sigma has a 10-20mm f/4-5.6 and a 12-24mm f/4.5-5.6, andTamron has a 11-18mm f/4.5-5.6 as does Sony (which may just be a rebranded Tamron.) By all accounts they are all fine lenses, and cost from $500 to $700*. Sometimes these lenses can be found used, but I don't see any right now.

Dyxum.com is a fine source of comments on lenses for Minolta/Sony SLRs.

*What do you call humane?
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2008, 11:36 PM   #3

Is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 available in A-mount? I've seen some positive comments about it but it only seems to be listed for Canon/Nikon. It's around $500.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 2:44 AM   #4

FrankD wrote:
Quote:
Is the Tokina 12-24mm f/4 available in A-mount? I've seen some positive comments about it but it only seems to be listed for Canon/Nikon. It's around $500.
Tokina's current products are only for Canon and Nikon mounts.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2008, 5:31 AM   #5

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Tokina's current products are only for Canon and Nikon mounts.
And not even distributed in Canada :-(
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2008, 3:41 AM   #6

Humane is <600USD.

And thanks for your advice! I've looked up the Sigma 10-20mm; and around here it goes for ∼600USD, while the Tamron can be found for around 500. (Very rough estimates; I've been living in Ireland for close to three years and my head is still hard-wired to use Swedish crowns.)

It seems both are rather appreciated. The Tamron appears to underexpose some, be a bit soft in the far corners for some apertures, and has a plasticky finish. The Sigma no doubt has the excellent EX finish(I've one of them), but I haven't found any good direct comparison with the Tamron in terms of exposure, vignetting and sharpness.

*And I don't care much about the finish of a lens, so currently I'm leaning towards the T.

Lindinblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 4:38 PM   #7

A little bit late to say this (your post is from feb 2008) but for future buyers:

Sigma 12-24 4.5-5.6 is the only lens at this moment to have a wide angle of 120 degrees. And the distortion (straight lines become not vertical any longer: doors walls) is minimal!

Wanted the tamron 14 mm 2.8 first, but the it has a lot of distortion if you take a picture of a house. the walls are not vertical any longer!
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote