Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 9, 2008, 1:50 AM   #1

are there certain things you have to look for?

are some better then others?

are some not worth owning?

I should have asked this earlier as i just pulled the trigger on ebay for one that was still in the original box from a guy with 100% feed back. so i hope it was a good one or that they alll are good:roll:
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:16 AM   #2

The 'Beercan' is the Minolta 70-210mm f/4.0 lens. Minolta made various 70-210s after it, but none with the constant f/4.0 aperture.

I've seen second- and third-hand reports of some variability in quality, but most of the 149 User Reviews at Dyxum.comare glowing.

See http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/....asp?IDLens=48

It seems the only people that have abandoned their Beercans have done so because they got something faster (i.e.: 70-200/2.8 ).

I've had some 'purple fringing' with mine, but I think that's to be expected with any 'pre-digital' lens, and a UV filter handles it well.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:29 AM   #3

so the 70-210 lenses that can vary the aperature from 4 to 32 is not a beer can lens?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:34 AM   #4

and i see some of them are white on the inside and some are black what is the deal there?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:35 AM   #5

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
so the 70-210 lenses that can vary the aperature from 4 to 22 is not a beer can lens?
No. The lenses with maximum apertures that vary with the focal length are not Beercans.

The Beercan has a maximum aperture of f/4.0 throughout its zoom range. Other Minolta Zooms with the same focal length had maximum apertures that changed with the focal length (i.e.: f/3.5 at 70mm, but f/4.5 at 210mm).
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:38 AM   #6

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
and i see some of them are white on the inside and some are black what is the deal there?
Huh?

Can you show some examples?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 3:44 AM   #7

here is a lens advertised as beer can although it reads f4(32) with white on the inside

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-70-210-4...QQcmdZViewItem

here is a black one

http://cgi.ebay.com/Minolta-Maxxum-7...QQcmdZViewItem

are either of these actually beer cans?
Old Mar 9, 2008, 9:42 AM   #8

I beleive what you're seeing here is light from the left illuminating the unpolished right edge of the objective lens element. I see the same thing with my Beercan depending on how I hold it to the light.

Moderator: If I have improperly used this photo, please remove it and accept my apologies.
Old Mar 18, 2008, 1:23 PM   #9
Fil

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
here is a lens advertised as beer can although it reads f4(32) with white on the inside
The f4(32) means that the widest aperture is f4 and the smallest f32 - whichseems to indicate that it is abeercan.

What you will see on non beercans is something like f4.5-6.3(32) which indicates that the widest aperture varies with the focal length (as is the norm with most zooms). In this example it would be f4.5 at 70mm and f6.3 at 210mm.

The key thing about the beercan is that its widest aperture is always f4 - from 70 to 210 mm.
Fil is offline   Reply With Quote