Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 11, 2008, 4:58 AM   #1

so far i have

good glass:

Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6

sigma 17-35 f2.8-4

minolta 28-75 2.8

beercan

Kit glass:

18-70 minolta

75-300 f 4-5.6

what i am looking for

something in the

70-200 f2.8-4

200-500 f4-5.6

something around there

hopefully in the sub 500 dollar catigory each

any sugestions as i know nothing of brands like tamron and vivitar and such but i am sure they make some decent stuff

thanks
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:31 AM   #2

When you say you're looking for "70-200 f2.8-4"... "in the sub 500 dollar catigory", I presume you're looking for a inexpensive, faster replacement for the Beercan.

So are we all.

There are two new lenses that will do the job:
[/*]
... but they cost more. The Sigma will go for $799, and the Tamron will go for $699. (I haven't even referred to the Sony/Minolta lenses, since the prices are several times "the sub 500 dollar catigory.")

The Sigma comes from a long line of lenses of that specification, all of which have been first class lenses, and the new one is likely to be as good. The Tamron is all new.

As for used lenses, there are earlier Sigmas and a Tokina AT-X 828 AF PRO 80-200mm f/2.8. Even used, they go for around $700.

I've even tried an old Sigma 75-200 f/2.8-3.5 (with the push-pull zoom), but it seems these are hit-or-miss as to whether they will work with dSLRs. Mine wouldn't talk to my KM5D when connected directly, but would when connected through a Quantaray 2X TC. The problem was that at the long end, the f3.5 became f/7.1 and the AF stopped working. I found a Rokunar 1.4X TC that the Sigma will work with, and now I have a nice 110-280mm f/4.0-5.0, but it's still not what I'm looking for.

Good luck with your quest, and remember that at least one of us here will be bidding against you.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 8:44 AM   #3
Administrator

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
any sugestions as i know nothing of brands like tamron and vivitar and such but i am sure they make some decent stuff
I'd avoid the Vivitar lenses if you plan on using one in harsher lighting.

I've got a Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO Autofocus Lens (purchased from Cameta for $79.95, new in the box with warranty).

In harsher lighting, you're going to get washed out images due to loss of contrast from Flare if you're not careful about where the Sun is (better to keep it behind you), even with a hood. CA is not well controlled either, and AF speed is nothing to brag about in lower light (although AF acccuracy seems very good). Unless you really need the f/2.8 on the wider end, stick to your Beercan. I rarely use a lens this long. So, for me, it made sense (mostly for snapshots at concerts where I may want a bit more focal range, which isn't going to be very often), with the understanding that the quality is going to suffer compared to a better lens, especially in harsher lighting.

You can see some images from this Vivitar here:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...amp;forum_id=5

Good Glass is not cheap if you want a brighter zoom. Don't expect to find a higher quality lens that is brighter than the beercan in that focal range (70-200mm or thereabouts) for under $500.

As I sometimes see BillDrew post about lenses:

Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick any two. :-)

Sigma has made a variety of 70-200mm f/2.8 lenses in Minolta AF mount over the years (just watch out for compatibility issues with some of the oldest versions). But, they stopped making them (probably due to worries over Sony's buyout of Minolta's camera related assets).

So, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 AF lenses are in high demand on the used market right now (so, you may end up paying just as much or more for a used lens as they sold for new). Fortunately, they have decided to reintroduce this lens in Sony/Minolta mount, and this time, they'll have Sigma's Hypersonic Motor (HSM) feature. As TCav already mentioned, Tamron is also introducing a new 70-200mm f/2.8 lens. Adorama.com is taking preorders for both of these lenses now.

As for the 200-500mm range, the Bigma (Sigma 50-500mm) is a popular choice. It's not under $500 though. lol There are more around. But, I don't keep up with those choices. You may want to read some of the reviews of longer lenses by Minolta/Sony owners at http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:14 PM   #4

i have been considering a 170-500 ex dg lens from sigma but have not hear enough about them, as to how they do, and they are not realy realy expensive around 620-650 new

the really hard one is the 70 to 200 range as they are like you say in demand and fairly expensive,

i really was not hoping to replace the beer can but just get something alittle faster for indoors and moving people shots IE sports

what i would really like to know is what lines of lenses from manufacrures other then sigma are good lines of lenses at reasonable prices
Dr.Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:32 PM   #5

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
what i would really like to know is what lines of lenses from manufacrures other then sigma are good lines of lenses at reasonable prices
Tamron makes good stuff, as does Tokina (though their current products only support Canon and Nikon.) Most Quantaray (a house brand, I beleive) products are rebranded Sigmas, but some are made by lesser manufacturers.

As JimC has siad, dyxum.com is a good source for user comments. (That's my first choice for info.) But they only cover Minolta/Sony stuff. Another good source is Photodo.com, and they cover all brands; chances are, if a third partylens is good on a Canon or a Nikon, it will also be good on a Minolta or a Sony.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 12:37 PM   #6
Administrator

Dr.Theo wrote:
Quote:
i have been considering a 170-500 ex dg lens from sigma but have not hear enough about them, as to how they do, and they are not realy realy expensive around 620-650 new
As I mentioned in my last post, you may want to read some of the reviews of longer lenses by Minolta/Sony owners at http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/index.asp

Here is a direct link to user reviews of the Sigma 170-500mm:

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/lenses/...asp?IDLens=231

Quote:
You have to take each lens on a case by case basis. You have poor quality and good quality lenses from all of the major camera and lens manufacturers.

Sigma's EX series lenses are their better grade. Tamron's SP series lenses are their better grade. Sony and Minolta's G series lenses are their better grade. Tokina's Pro series lenses are usually their better grade.

But, even within the better grades of lenses, you need to take each lens on a case by case basis for the conditions you plan on using one in for best results, taking things like AF speed and accuracy; sharpness and contrast with the aperture wide open and stopped down at various focal lengths, widest usable apertures, flare resistance, color, size, weight, ergonomics, and more.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote