Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 13, 2008, 6:08 PM   #1
Administrator

Sonystyle.com just lowered the price on the new DSLR-A200 to from $699 to $599 on the kit including the A200 camera body and 18-70mm lens (in stock now).

They lowered the price on the new DSLR-A300 (with live view) from $799 to $699 for a kit including the A300 camera body and 18-70mm lens (preorder pricing for this one).

They also lowered the price on the new DSLR-A350 (14MP model with live view) from $899 to $799 (body only price, as the other models only come in kits), with different options in kits available, too.

Sony DSLR models at sonystyle.com

So, I suspect we'll see some price drops at the retailers and online vendors offering these products, too.

Sorry, no price drops on the A700.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:14 AM   #2

Thanks Jim, good information.
I have a A-100 and have no complaints at all. It is what they say it is.

I am considering trading up to the A-300 as it has some new features that really appear to suit my needs.

Is there a retailer that accepts trades or an online store? I don't need another camera collecting dust if you know what I mean.

Looking forward to some good reviews on these new cameras.

Thanks

Jim B
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Administrator

I'd check with http://www.bhphotovideo.com (they buy and sell both new and used gear and stock Sony DSLR models). I haven't noticed price drops there yet (and I don't know if they have the newer bodies in). You'd have to check their site to see.

http://www.keh.com also buys and sells both new and used gear (but, I don't think have new Sony DSLR models in stock). Ditto for http://www.adorama.com . But, their reputation isn't quite as good for buying used gear from comments I've seen about their used department. I've bought from all 3 (but, I haven't sold any gear to them).

Of course, these guys have to make a profit on the sale of your gear. So, you may be better off selling it yourself versus trading it in or selling it to a dealer.

Old Mar 15, 2008, 11:50 AM   #4
Administrator

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I'd check with http://www.bhphotovideo.com (they buy and sell both new and used gear and stock Sony DSLR models). I haven't noticed price drops there yet (and I don't know if they have the newer bodies in). You'd have to check their site to see.
I just checked their web site, it looks like B&H lowered prices, too. For example, I see they've got the same prices on the DSLR-A200 kits (one and two lens kits) as sonystyle.com (and you may be able to get them without sales tax from B&H, if you're not in NY). They don't have any A300 or A350 kits in yet from what I can see (atlhough a number of dealers have the A350 in stock now).

Old Mar 16, 2008, 10:41 PM   #5

Big gap now in the pricing eh Jim ?

Wonder whats gonna fit in that slot between the A700 and the A350.

I figure we will know in about another 6 months.

Only two cameras needed to fill the gap for a complete lineup of DSLRS, a Flagship and the afformentioned.

To me, that "gap" camera could possibly be the best seller for Sony, supposing they do it right.

I think the 3 new A series are a bit ambitious for the entry level offering honestly, they could have made 2 cameras instead of 3 and fit the needs just fine.

To me a bridge camera will be needed at some point soon after the 1 year anniversary of the A700, when sales naturally start to fall off. Throw that camera in there to boost sales in that segment, then, another 6-9 months later offer an upgraded version of the A700 (Full frame this time and still 12 mp!), let the "A500" replace the aging A700, and keep feeding the pipeline.

That will hurt Canon and Nikon sales imo.

Boy I was so off topic!

Carl
rush2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:54 AM   #6

The prices are back up on Sonystyle. The 350 with one lens kit is now $899.99 again.

What's going on??

Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Administrator

My bad... the prices are not back up (they dropped $100 on the A200, A300, and A350 product offerings), but the new $799 A350 price was for body only. The other models only come in kits, whereas the A350 is available with or without lenses. I'll fix the post.

Old Mar 17, 2008, 11:55 AM   #8

Jim,

I checked it last Friday and I could swear you were right and the kit price with one lens was $799.99.

The by Saturdayto was back up to $899. SIGH...

Thanks - Mercury
Mercurycu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 12:09 PM   #9
Administrator

I don't think so.

I think I was just glancing at the lowest price I saw after I clicked on each of the model series choices on the main sonystyle.com DSLR screen, and didn't pay any attention the lowest price for the A350 was for the body only, when the other two models don't have a body only offering.

Of course, I could be wrong. :-)
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:44 PM   #10

JimC wrote:
Quote:

http://www.keh.com also buys and sells both new and used gear (but, I don't think have new Sony DSLR models in stock). Ditto for http://www.adorama.com . But, their reputation isn't quite as good for buying used gear from comments I've seen about their used department. I've bought from all 3 (but, I haven't sold any gear to them).

Of course, these guys have to make a profit on the sale of your gear. So, you may be better off selling it yourself versus trading it in or selling it to a dealer.
Thanks for the links Jim,
I got an "approx." price from Adorama that seems to high, over $400.00. You mentioned that there reputation isn't wonderful.
Can you direct me to some of the comments your refering to.

Thanks

Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote