Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 18, 2008, 7:31 PM   #1

I came across an ebay auction with a lens branded "Nikura". Specifically it is described as "NIKURA MC AF ZOOM/ MACRO 1:3.9 F=70-210MM". It has similar tech spec and looks a lot like the "beercan". Does anybody know anything about this lens or this brand?
rduve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:21 AM   #2

No, but the specs you listed are total BS for a real lens.
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:15 AM   #3
Administrator

The MC would imply an older manual focus lens that's not compatible. Of course, the AF part contradicts that.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:45 PM   #4

JimC wrote:
Quote:
The MC would imply an older manual focus lens that's not compatible. Of course, the AF part contradicts that.
Not always true, in fact when used with AF in the description, MC refers to Multi-Coated. Vivitar is quite known for doing this, as is Cosina. As far a lens brand in question, no I have not heard of it however, I wonder if it isn't another rebadged Mackinon
kkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 2:51 PM   #5
Administrator

Interesting....

But, the only similar Vivitar I'm familiar with in that range with Autofocus is the Vivitar Series 1 70-210mm f/2.8-4 APO Macro Autofocus Lens (it's probably a rebranded Cosina). You can find dimmer Vivitars with AF in that range, too (down to f/5.6 on their long end like most lower grade lenses)

Both rduve and I bought one of these Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4 lenses. I got mine for $79.95 from CametaAuctions on Ebay (brand new in the box with warranty).

I posted some photos from it in this forum thread:

Mother's Finest at Tybee Island, GA

But, my guess is that the lens in question is an MC mount manual focus lens, and the seller is probably mistaken about the AF part.

P.S. If the seller has a photo showing the lens mount, you could tell that way.

Old Mar 19, 2008, 3:44 PM   #6
Administrator

There's a post in this thread that you may want to read:

http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EuiV

Quote:
Jan 25, 2006; 12:23 p.m. Back in '80s when they were still in Maine, I 'phone ordered a new Nikon FE2 with a 70-200mm Zoom. The camera is still fine, but the lens was a "Nikura" rather than a "Nikkor". I kept it, though, and the lens is absolute crap! My bad. Best regards, Bill
It looks like Abe's of Maine is selling wide angle and telephoto adapters made by them, too. Does that sound familiar, like some of the camera kits you see listed with lots of supposedly expensive extras included? :-)

Here's a Google Search for nikura lenses:

http://www.google.com/search?q=nikura+lenses

Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:48 PM   #7

Thank you for all your input. I only now realized that I had some replies. Here are a couple of photos from the auction. It looks like an interesting lens that could be a real alternative to the beercan. My Vivitar broke, and I sold my beercan because I needed the money. This one comes cheap. If I win the auction at a good price, I will test it out and report back.

Attached Images

Old Mar 22, 2008, 8:51 PM   #8

And another view:
Attached Images

Old Apr 24, 2008, 3:46 PM   #9

Toclose out this thread here is what happened. I received the lens, tested it, and sure enough the maximum aperture reduced down to 6.3 as I extended the zoom to 210mm. I sent it back for a refund. What a waste.