Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 19, 2008, 12:38 PM   #1

I've recently looked at two lenses on e-bay (uk) and they seem to be serioulsy over priced.

A Minolta 135mm f2.8 prime is going for a Buy-It-Now of £199 when looking at Dynaxx.com the price people paid seems to be around £80-£120.

A Minolta 200mm prime APO 2.8 HS G was going for a Buy-It-Now of £749, didn't get a single bid and has now been relisted at £699. Again, looking through Dynaxx.com the average price seems to be around £400 with £600 the highest. I contacted this seller (a shop) but unsurprsingly haven't had a response.

I know it's up to the individual to do their homework ('caveat emptor' and all that) but it seems to me that sellers arelooking to make a big profit hoping that people just trust the asking price.

Does anyone else feel the same or seen similar situations? Could it be the new models introduced have created demand thereby pushing the prices up (unfairly IMO as there are still 15million+ lenses out there, hardly in short supply!)

If not.... please, please do some groundwork first as I've also seen people get caught up in a last minute bidding frenzy and end up paying too much for the lens (which is not the sellers fault in this case!)

Juzzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:38 PM   #2

Juzzie wrote:
Quote:
I've recently looked at two lenses on e-bay (uk) and they seem to be serioulsy over priced.

I know it's up to the individual to do their homework ('caveat emptor' and all that) but it seems to me that sellers are*looking to make a big profit hoping that people just trust the asking price.
It's very noticable, especially here in the UK. Not just Minolta/Sony lenses but just about everything. Every now and then I see something I'd like and put in a bid but I don't get the item. The obvious answer is that I don't bid enough but if a lens can sell for say $500 in the USA, I'm b*ggered if I'm going to spend more than about £250 over here. Most objectionable are the Americans who ask say $600 for the same item......
TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2008, 9:00 PM   #3

Since Sony introduced the new A200 at CES and the A300/A350 at PMA, prices on eBay for used Minolta lenses have increased significantly.

The 35/2.0 used to go for about $400; the last three went for over $600!

The 100/2.0 used to go for about $700; the last two went for $1,000 or more!

Even the 100/2.8, which used to go for about $400 is now going for about the price of a new Sony 100/2.8.

Sony needs to re-release some of those old lenses just to keep the prices sensible.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:09 AM   #4

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Sony needs to re-release some of those old lenses just to keep the prices sensible.
You are absolutely correct. As an example, the local price here for a Nikkor 35mm f/2 is $342.17 CDN (brand new). In general, the pricing of the used Minolta lens is comparable to thier (brand new) Nikon counterparts and Canon can't be too far away either.This is likely causing potential buyers to look at other options. It worked for me.
FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 5:38 AM   #5
Administrator

TCav wrote:
Quote:
Even the 100/2.8, which used to go for about $400 is now going for about the price of a new Sony 100/2.8.

That's nuts (paying as much for the Minolta 100mm f/2.8 used as the Sony would cost new).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com still has KM branded 100mm f/2.8 Macro lenses in stock brand new for less than the Sony 100mm f/2.8. So, I don't know what's gotten into the ebay buyers and sellers (or they just don't realize that some dealers still have this lens).

Search for Minolta 100mm f/2.8 at bhphotovideo.com

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 12:49 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
That's nuts (paying as much for the Minolta 100mm f/2.8 used as the Sony would cost new).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com still has KM branded 100mm f/2.8 Macro lenses in stock brand new for less than the Sony 100mm f/2.8. So, I don't know what's gotten into the ebay buyers and sellers (or they just don't realize that some dealers still have this lens).

Search for Minolta 100mm f/2.8 at bhphotovideo.com
Hey! Weird shhhstuff happens on eBay! I constantly see people paying more for used items than they would pay for the same items new!

There are occasionally bargains to be had, but the morons sure screw it up for the rest of us.

TCav is offline   Reply With Quote