Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 22, 2008, 4:40 PM   #1

Auto cleaning isn't getting rid of the spots. I've had it a few days and haven't had the lens off since I put it on the first time, though I know the camera guy at BB had taken this unit out of the box before I bought it. Not a problem, because I've been cleaning slr cameras and lenses since the mid '80s.

Sony removed the mirror lockup on the new cameras, so now I'm stuck. How the heck do we clean stubborn dust off of the sensor/ir cover?
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:10 PM   #2
Administrator

Try the Cleaning Mode choice in the Setup menu, which locks up the mirror for sensor cleaning.

Here's an article that may help:

Understanding Digital SLR Sensor Cleaning

Unless you're stopping down the aperture a lot (shooting at smaller apertures, represented by higher f/stop settings) against a bright background (for example, a brighter sky at f/14), most dust isn't going to be visible. But, if you do like to shoot that way, you'll need to clean it periodically for best results.

Attached Images

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 9:44 PM   #3

Well now I feel stupid. Thanks for leading me to the obvious. :O
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:08 AM   #4
JTF

Mu understanding is the camera does its shake of the sensor each time it is turned on, what most people never think of is to hold the camera pointing downward with the lense off from time to time so the dust can fall away from the sensor.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2008, 5:33 PM   #5

The auto sensor clean/shake at startup is relatively mild and did nothing to dislodge the dust, but did shift it around slightly. The sensor shake that the cleaning mode initiates is much more forceful and effective, it got rid of the most annoying particles after a few cycles. No need to manually clean the sensor just yet.