Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:05 AM   #1

I have noticed the last two time shooting photo's that the shutter speed has slowed tremendously.

Set on sports mode, on a sunny day at a soccer game, fresh charge on battery and all bars showing, clean compact flash 2gb memory card and using the kit 18-70 lens, my sutter speeds were between 1/60 and 1/125.

In my son's house at Easter, in auto mode with the same lens I got shutter speeds in the same range.

Many in fact most shots were blurry.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:19 AM   #2
Super Moderator

It will depend on the ISO setting and were the photos exposed correctly. Has the exposure compensation been moved? If exposure is fine then nothing is wrong. Do you have example photos so we can check out the exil info as this will help too?
Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:21 AM   #3
Administrator

Well, there are only a few factors that will impact the shutter speed a camera can achieve for a properly exposed image.

* the aperture setting (smaller f/stop numbers are wider apertures and let in more light, allowing you to expose the scene faster)

* the ISO speed (higher ISO speeds are more sensitive to light, and each time you double the ISO speed, you can use shutter speeds twice as fast for the same lighting and aperture)

* the amount of light (typically measured as EV for Exposure Value in photography).

So, you're probably shooting with a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number), or a lower ISO speed, if your shutter speeds are slower than they have been in the past in the same lighting conditions.

Also, make sure you're not using a Filter that's blocking light getting through to the lens. For example, a Polarizer can cost you a couple of stops or more, depending on how it's rotated, giving you dramtically slower shutter speeds than you'd get without one.

To see more about how Lighting (shown as EV for Exposure Value), Aperture and ISO speed (a.k.a., film speed) impact the shutter speeds you can expect to achieve, see this handy online calculator:

http://www.robert-barrett.com/photo/...alculator.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:30 AM   #4
Administrator

Mark makes a good point. Make sure you don't have a +EV setting with Exposure Compensation (needle to the right of center) causing overexposed images (and giving you slower shutter speeds).

I'd also check to make sure you didn't change your metering mode. For example, if you changed it to spot metering, your exposure is probably going to be all over the board (both underexposed and overexposed images), depending on what you meter on. If you meter on a darker subject, you'll tend to get overexposed images with spot metering, and if you meter on a lighter subject, you'll tend to get underexposed images with spot metering. It's not the mode you want to be shooting in for most subject types.

But, chances are, you're just using a lower ISO speed than you were before.

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:55 AM   #5

Pictures are 3872x2592, approx. 3 mb in size.

Here is exif on two pics.

Auto mode
Shutter 1/20
F number F3.5
ISO 400
no flash
0 EV

The other is as above but has a shutter speed of 1/6

What size should I reduce them to for posting?

Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:58 AM   #6
Super Moderator

If you reduce down to 700 for the longest side for landscape and 600 for portrait that generally works well.

I'm hoping the 2 mentioned are the indoor ones.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:15 AM   #7
Administrator

You can expect shutter speeds like that indoors without a flash at ISO 400, even if you're not zooming in much (and your lens will lose light as you zoom in more). You may even find that they're much slower in some lighting. Indoor lighting appears to be much brighter to the human eye than it will to a camera's lens.

What I'd suggest doing is posting one of the outdoor shots you mentioned that had slower shutter speeds.

I'd downsize them to around 640 or 700 pixels wide using something like the free Irfanview

After you open an image using File>Open, go to Image>Resize/Resample. Leave the box checked to retain the original aspect ratio (dimensions of width to height), and make the width around 600 to 700 pixels. Then, Save it to a new filename (so you don't overwrite your original) using File>Save As (picking a folder that you want to keep it in).

Leave the jpeg quality at around 80% and leave the boxes checked to retain EXIF (you'll see a box pop up with a jpeg quality slider when you use the Save As choice and select jpeg as the file type).

Then, after resizing them, attach a good and bad photo in the sequence to this thread by using the Browse Button you'll see under the text entry post when typing a new post.

That way (downsized), they will fit OK (they won't be too large from a file size or pixel dimensions perspective) and we can see the camera settings used and see what the images looked like.

But, you were probably just using a lower ISO speed with a smaller aperture (higher f/stop number) if you were getting 1/60 to 1/125 second shutter speeds outdoors in daylight.

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:15 AM   #8

Both shots are indoors,
Here is the first.
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:17 AM   #9

Here is the second
Attached Images

Old Mar 25, 2008, 11:23 AM   #10
Super Moderator

I would expect those settings to be correct for the lighting there and also the blur is from the slow shutter speeds. You can increase the shutter speeds by getting the ISO higher and the aperture wider if it can go wider.

Do you have the shots from the day where you were in sports mode?