Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 3, 2008, 10:41 AM   #21
Administrator

It's going to depend on how dim the restaurant is, too. In one of the local restaurants near us, I need to shoot at ISO 3200 (not available on your A100), to get my shutter speeds up to around 1/20 to 1/40 second at f/2. In the dimly lit bar area of another restaurant nearby, my shutter speeds are even slower (I sometimes need to underexpose a tad just get 1/10 second at ISO 3200 and f/2). That's one reason I've thought about getting brighter lenses than I have from time to time.

BTW, Sigma recently announced a 50mm f/1.4. But, it may be a while before it starts shipping.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:49 AM   #22

Hi, Jim. When I pick up those lenses on coming monday should I pickup the 28-75 f/2.8 ? and how about the compairation between 16-80 and 28-75 the way I need ( for shooting food ) there will be a $1000 dollars different. The personal who sold me the other two lenses will sale me this 28-75 for $200 as well ( I would say all his lenses are almost brand new condition.) Thanks.
Chefkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2008, 8:58 AM   #23
Administrator

Well, the 28-75mm is going to be around twice as bright as the 16-80mm on average.

But, that still may not be bright enough if you have any moving subjects you're trying to capture indoors. You also wouldn't be able to capture as wide a view as you could with the 16-80mm (which could come in handy for group photos, wider shots of a restaurant, etc.).

The prices you're mentioning are very good though. So, you could always resell them if you decide you like one more than the other for the types of shots you take more often.

Old Apr 5, 2008, 9:06 AM   #24

Thanks Jim, I think I'm going to get that 28-75 and try it first. I have seen some picture they are under low light and high iso with this lens and looks OK for me, too bad that guy don't have any f/1.4 or f/2. Thanks again, will post some picture after I bring them home.
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:48 PM   #25

Hi Jim, just pickup my lenses today and try the 28-75 f/2.8 in the restaurant and the picture come out nice ( with flash ) and the picture without flash ( use iso 200-400 )still acceptable. Thanks a lot for the lesson. Now I tried the 200mm f/4 it is also a very nice glass and my question is the seller who can't found the original tripod collar for this lens ( when I try it last time it has it attached), do you know where can I find the tripod collar for this lens? The lens is pretty heavy and I don't think I can hold it that long. I did call sony/minolta today but they told me they don't have this part anymore, I feel so sad.
BTW the 100-400mm also perform very good too, I am very happy with those after spending $1400, except the tripod collar thing. Thanks.

Old Apr 8, 2008, 12:12 PM   #26
Administrator

I checked in the used departments at places like http://www.keh.com and didn't see anyone carrying a tripod collar for a Minolta 200mm f/4. That kind of thing could be pretty hard to find.

Old Apr 8, 2008, 8:01 PM   #27

Thanks Jim.
Old Apr 9, 2008, 8:58 AM   #28

Hi Jim, thanks again. I think every pro like you:-) would have some secret for shopping used parts. It that true ? I did try some local repair shop and let them know if they can find one for me. But I don't think this will work. I think if I post in this forum it might have somebody can help with this? How do you think. Thanks you very much.
Old Apr 12, 2008, 9:39 AM   #29

Hi, Jim. Do you think the new sony 70-200 /2.8 G tripod collar with fit my 200 /4 APO?
I just post a topic ask anybody who own this lens to make a dimemsion of the tripod collar for me.Thanks a lot.

Old Apr 12, 2008, 10:13 AM   #30
Administrator

I don't know. I think that's very unlikely though (the 70-200mm is a larger lens with a very different design).

I hate to send you elsewhere to get the answer. But, I'll tell you where I'd look. Try asking in the forums over at http://www.dyxum.com

They have a very large group of Minolta and Sony users, and you may be able to find an answer there from users that have these lenses and get some suggestions on where to find a tripod collar that may fit.