Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 16, 2008, 1:22 PM   #1

I am looking to buy some more CF memory cards and was wondering if there is a Gigabyte limit to what the 5D or 7D is compatible with.
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:00 PM   #2
Administrator

Try this one (and it's also got a Lifetime warranty, as you can see if you view the larger product images they have):

Transcend 133x 16GB CompactFlash Card for $69.99 at newegg.com

It's the 4th entry down in this table (I timed it in a 5D):

http://www.dyxum.com/reviews/cfcard/index.asp?cam=5D

I've been using one in my Sony A700 since October with no issues, and it also works just fine in my KM 5D.

JimC

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:23 PM   #3

Cool, I was looking at that one and I have used their 2GB version.

I just noticed this one by RIDATA that is quoted as a 233X but I'm leary on trying a brand unless I know someone has had sucess.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820183190
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:35 PM   #4

Interesting post from a 7d user on another site I found based on a websearch. I think I will stick with the Transcend.

RITEK RiDATA Pro - Flash memory card - 4 GB - 150x - CompactFlash

Don't use with the Maxxum 7D

If you are using a Max 7D, DON'T BUY THIS CARD! It will fail after about 130-140 frames if shooting raw + small jpg with no hope of recovery. Not sure of life expectancy if shooting in other than raw & sm. jpg. The card will be destroyed. 2 cards tried with same result in both cards. Other RiData products are of similar service quality. Write/Read errors start 2 occur after just a couple of uses. That's my experience with RiData CF cards in a Max 7D.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:43 PM   #5
Administrator

I'd probably lean towards something other than the latest 133x Kingston Cards for KM or Sony dSLR models, too (although they work about the same as an Extreme III in most other camera models).

See our Sony DSLR-A200 Review Conclusion for a comparison with a Sandisk Extreme III Card.

Old Apr 16, 2008, 2:58 PM   #6

I went on the Transcend website and happened too notice in their compatability section a disclaimer that KM only reccommends up to 8GB in the 7D, but I'll bet that was old news and I'm not even sure the 16GBs were on the market then. Obviously people have been using them.
Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:10 PM   #7
Administrator

I don't have a 7D to test it with. But, the Transcend 133x 16GB Card I got from newegg.com works just fine in a KM 5D and Sony A700.

See this thread about it (and I paid more for mine than you can get one for now, since memory card prices have dropped since then).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

I'm the one that made the entry in the CF card speed table at dyxum for the 5D. It works fine in my 5D. But, can't verify a 7D. My guess is that it would probably work just fine though (as long as you are using the newest firmware versus the original firmware). Let us know if you decide to try one with a 7D.

JimC

Old Apr 16, 2008, 3:23 PM   #8

I'm sure it will work fine,but I will post my results. Worst case scenario it will still work in my 5D, which will suit just fine since my objective isto store a lot of pictures mostly on trips or excursions were it might not be convenient to transfer images. The 5D is more convenient in those situations anyway.
Old May 5, 2008, 2:37 PM   #9

JimC wrote:
Quote:
I don't have a 7D to test it with. But, the Transcend 133x 16GB Card I got from newegg.com works just fine in a KM 5D and Sony A700.

See this thread about it (and I paid more for mine than you can get one for now, since memory card prices have dropped since then).

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=84

I'm the one that made the entry in the CF card speed table at dyxum for the 5D. It works fine in my 5D. But, can't verify a 7D. My guess is that it would probably work just fine though (as long as you are using the newest firmware versus the original firmware). Let us know if you decide to try one with a 7D.

JimC

Works great with both the 5D and 7D.

Old May 5, 2008, 2:58 PM   #10
Administrator

Super. I'm glad it works in both cameras (I thought it would). At current prices, it's hard to beat the "bang for the buck" you get with the larger cards like this. My Transcend 133x 16GB card is still working just fine, and I just got a newer 266x Card, too (although it's not quite as fast as a Sandisk Extreme IV).

The Transcend 16GB 300x SLC UDMA cards were just released, and early tests I've seen show it to be faster than the Sandisk Extreme IV, Lexar 300x UDMA cards, etc. (it appears to be very fast compared to other 300x cards from read and write tests I've seen so far, and most manufacturers don't even offer 300x cards this large yet). So, I may get one of those next.