Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 8, 2008, 9:25 AM   #11

Hi Jim. Thanks for all the info so quickly. The problem is that the lens won't focus more than 5 or 6 feet away. Up close the focus is fast. Trying to take a picture of a billboard 30 feet away is impossible. The screen blinks the circle, not focused and I can't even manually focus the lens.
townsmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 9:37 AM   #12
Administrator

Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you meant the opposite. :-)

Make sure the lens is mounting OK (clicking into place like it should). I'd remount it to make sure (with the camera turned off), to help insure sure the AF drive screw is aligned properly and you've got a good electrical connection. The camera should recognize the lens type OK upon power up, and AF with it as long as your AF/MF switch is on Autofocus.

Hopefully, you don't have a bum lens with a damaged gear inside or something causing the focus mechanism to bind.

You are trying this in good light (outside in daylight) to make sure the camera's AF sensors can see well enough to focus, right?

Camera shake will it make it more difficult for the camera's AF to focus in lower light using a longer lens like that indoors. Plus, it's really too dim for use in typical indoor lighting much, especially when you start zooming in (since you lose light as you zoom in more with this type of lens).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 9:44 AM   #13

I took pictures last night wusing the flash. Most were less than 10 feet away. It focused fast and took a nice picture. Around 9am today I tried the camera again. The camera couldn't focus on something across the street.

Is it repairable and is it worth repairing.

No word back from the seller. It looks like I will need to contact ebay and maybe my credit card company.
Old May 8, 2008, 9:51 AM   #14
Administrator

These lenses typically sell for around $300 from reputable vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com , depending on the exact version (sometimes a bit less for the non-D versions, and a bit more for the latest D version), condition, and what's included (case, hood, caps).

But, I don't know what repair costs would be (assuming someone has the expertise and can get the parts).

Old May 8, 2008, 10:03 AM   #15
Administrator

Again, I'd make sure you have it mounted properly (and remount it to make sure, which would also help to clean the electrical contacts from the friction of remounting it if it's not a mechanical issue).

You are changing the camera's switch from AF to MF when you try to use Manual Focus right?

If you look at the lens with it off the camera, does the focus screw on the lens mount rotate when you rotate the focus ring from close to infinity, or is it binding somewhere on the way to infinity?

Old May 8, 2008, 12:06 PM   #16

Hi Jim. I just went to my car and looked at the focusing screw as you advised. It moves freely and the head part that connects to the camera does not looked stripped. I shook the lens when it was off the camera and did not hear any rattling. I don't know if I would hear any rattling.

I signed up on KEM. When i select the link that you provide on Monday to the Minolta 100-300 it takes me to a product list>product details. When I go onto the KEM site and choose Minolta lens it only shows 3 lenses. Any idea why?

Also, thatnks for all this help. I think I need to get my $ back from this ebay bandit and if not, notify my credit card company and dispute the charge.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:12 PM   #17

Hi Jim. I figured out what I was dioing wrong with the KEH search. Sorry, bad question.
Old May 8, 2008, 12:16 PM   #18
Administrator

Do you mean keh versus kem? They're at http://www.keh.com

keh.com has hundreds of lenses in Minolta AF mount in stock. Click on the camera store tab, then select Minolta Autofocus from the list under 35mm cameras (on the left side of the page). The digital section is only for lenses that won't work on a 35mm camera. That's not what you want.

Then, after you select Minolta Autofocus in the 35mm section, if you want Minolta Zoom lenses, select the Zoom lenses category on the right side of the page under Lenses. For third party (Tamron, Sigma, etc.) Zoom lenses (versus Minolta Zoom lenses), select Non-Mfg Zoom Lenses from that same Lenses list.
Old May 8, 2008, 8:47 PM   #19

Old May 8, 2008, 8:50 PM   #20

Hi Jim. I just sent you a picture of a different auction for a 100 300. Picture 5 is what the back of my problem lens looks like. None of my other lenses have teh rectangular shape in the rear of the lens. Could this be way the lens won't work on my K/M d slr 5D?

Thnaks,

Glenn