Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:24 PM   #1

Thanks to Uncle Sams tax credit check I'm about to purchase a new macro lens for my KM5d. I plan to by a Sony in the next couple of years and before I plop down 300+ dollars on a new lens, is there any talk about sony gravitating toward there own brand of lenses and the lenses for Minoltas not fitting anymore? I'm looking at getting this lens SigmaTelephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum. While browsing and researching I saw that sigma makes this lens as well, which I assume won't work on my KM5d. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Minolta A-type Macro Digital SLR Lens for select Sony 35mm/Digital SLR Cameras.

Anyone know what this is about. Is Sony going to ditch us loyal Minolta fans?

Oh, and by the way is my lens choice a good one?

Thanks, Deb
deb2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2008, 8:37 PM   #2

thats news to me, i havent heard anything about sony ditching the minolta A mount or maxxum mount as its commonly reffered to. I have heard of a select few lenses not functioning properly but most of those are older lenses. i will look around and see what i can find. I have shot a friends 105 macro on both my 5d and A700 with no issues.

Ecap

Yes your lens choice is a good one, may want to look at the used market for a minolta 100mm macro, that is one incredibly sharp lens but the sigma is a very nice runner up to it.
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:19 PM   #3

deb2cam wrote:
Quote:
Thanks to Uncle Sams tax credit check I'm about to purchase a new macro lens for my KM5d. I plan to by a Sony in the next couple of years and before I plop down 300+ dollars on a new lens, is there any talk about sony gravitating toward there own brand of lenses and the lenses for Minoltas not fitting anymore? I'm looking at getting this lens SigmaTelephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum. While browsing and researching I saw that sigma makes this lens as well, which I assume won't work on my KM5d. Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Minolta A-type Macro Digital SLR Lens for select Sony 35mm/Digital SLR Cameras.

Anyone know what this is about. Is Sony going to ditch us loyal Minolta fans?

Oh, and by the way is my lens choice a good one?

Thanks, Deb
The "SigmaTelephoto 105mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro Autofocus Lens for Minolta Maxxum" and the "Sigma 105mm f/2.8 Minolta A-type Macro Digital SLR Lens for select Sony 35mm/Digital SLR Cameras" are the same lens. Over the years, Sigma has made some cosmetic changes, and changes that benefit digital SLRs, and changed it's product line, but this is basically the same lens Sigma has been making all along.

And it is a fine lens. The Minolta/Sony 100/2.8 Macro seems to be better, but only slightly, and for a lot more money. (See Photodo.com, Dyxum.com, PhotoZone.de and SLRGear.com, among others.

And when Sony bought the camera division of KM, they kept the mount because it already does everything well. They could spend a lot of money developing something else, but that would take time, and it would have to be a lot better and for something that the current mount couldn't be adapted to. The current mount has shown its flexibility with substantial improvements since it was introduced in 1985. I don't think there's any reason for alarm. We've got autoexposure, autofocus and 'Super SteadyShot'. I can't image that someone would want to stuff some other 'must have' feature into a camera that would require a new mount.

But I have been wrong before.
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2008, 9:39 PM   #4

Wow! Thanks so much for all the info. I feel comfortable going ahead with my purchase then. I checked around for the Minolta 100mm and it is way out of my price range. The sigma is more than I'd hoped to get by with, but I think it will be worth it in the end. Thanks again to both of you. Deb
deb2cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2008, 8:43 PM   #5

I think it would be a very bad mistake on Sony's part to ditch the Minolta lenses. If I had to guess it's probably between 16 and 25 million Minolta lenses out. Sony is serious about competing against Cannon and Nikon. Personally I think Sony has a long-term goal of gaining market share and this ditching Monolta would almost be like political suicide. In time, in my humble opinion, I think we will see Sony at the top of the camera food chain with the dslr 35mm equivalent. Sony is probably the largest manufacturer of electronics in the world and has a research and development department second to none.

AJ Gressette
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote