Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 7, 2008, 1:22 AM   #11

walked passed a sony display at a department store here and low and behold...
2 a700 with the 18-70 kit lens.... $999. couldn't get myself to pull the trigger though.

...sigh....
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 6:21 PM   #12

These new prices make meill compared to the cost of the Alpha 700 at its first release. Just to smear a little extra icing on the cake, Sony dropped the price of the Sal 70-200G $200 bucks less than two weeks after I bought one. Uggggg!!!! :blah:

At the currentprice the Alpha 7 really is worth the money.

The Alpha 9 is close and I think many good things are coming from Sony. Stay Tuned!

AJ
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 5:24 PM   #13

got mine for 585 out the door
jerrylambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 8:33 PM   #14

Jerry, that makes me sick. LOL. :?

AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2008, 4:47 PM   #15

Those still interested in A700 shouldn't give up on Best Buy deal. I got lucky with a display model in Springfield, VA store just 10 days back. It was listed for $559 and I requested for 20% off as they couldn't find the battery or cables. Manager offere me 10% off plus $50 giftcard as they had promo that gave $50 gift card with $500 purchase. So, I was able to walk out with camera for $504 + $50 gift card. I used the giftcard later to buy the battery using 12% off coupon.

Last week, a store in Fredricksburg, VA had one display model for $559 and a store in Owings Mill, baltimore had couple of new ones for $1099. I found it weird to see different prices in different Best buys. I wonder what happens if you buy from a store that has for $1099 and return in another store that has it for $559 and rebuy since stores don't price match if stores are not in same region?
kits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kits View Post
Those still interested in A700 shouldn't give up on Best Buy deal. I got lucky with a display model in Springfield, VA store just 10 days back. It was listed for $559 and I requested for 20% off as they couldn't find the battery or cables. Manager offere me 10% off plus $50 giftcard as they had promo that gave $50 gift card with $500 purchase. So, I was able to walk out with camera for $504 + $50 gift card. I used the giftcard later to buy the battery using 12% off coupon.

Last week, a store in Fredricksburg, VA had one display model for $559 and a store in Owings Mill, baltimore had couple of new ones for $1099. I found it weird to see different prices in different Best buys. I wonder what happens if you buy from a store that has for $1099 and return in another store that has it for $559 and rebuy since stores don't price match if stores are not in same region?
I had a smilar experiance in Circuit City when 5Ds were discontinued but still selling for 600 dollars and up. They had a display model with the kit lens that I wanted to buy but at first they wouldn't sell it. I kept at with repeat visits and almost got someone to sell it to but then they couldn't find the parts and that made excuses that there was something wrong with it. I kept on going back and eventually got the right sales person with the right manager and they let me have it for about 299. I used a coupon and ended up paying about 260. This made the extended warranty worth it since I got that for about 7 dollars. I still have that camera and it is still going strong.

Last edited by meanstreak; Apr 9, 2010 at 6:16 PM. Reason: typo
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:18 PM   #17

I just realized how old this thread is LOL
Old Apr 9, 2010, 6:52 PM   #18
Administrator

Yea... and it's making me feel like my camera is too old (as I've had my A700 since September 2007, and it's still my primary camera).

I like it though (even though it lacks some of the "bells, whistles and buzzers" you get with newer models).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:05 PM   #19

The sad part is there is a void right now in the product line without the A700, unless you jump to the A850. Even sadder, seems that if you can find a new one, they are getting more than the prices in this thread. If I could find an A700 for those prices, I might be tempted to buy one. I also would have loved to wait on a replacement for the A700, but I wanted to upgrade from the 7D in terms of IQ now and the A550 suits me just fine. I also imagine that an A700 replacement will probably be closer to 1500 dollars. Ironically, the 7D has some "old school" features that make the 7D seem more like a pro camera than the A550, but the newer technological features of the A550 and the results I have seen by others won't make me miss them too much. If the replacement for the A700 strikes my fancy when it comes out, I will consider upgrading, but it would have to blow away the A550 for me to bother. I imagine the differences between the two will be to add a few more "pro like" features. Kind of like the difference between the 5D and the 7D.

Last edited by meanstreak; Apr 9, 2010 at 11:07 PM. Reason: grammar
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:46 AM   #20

meanstreak, you are right on the money.

Sony has left a huge void in their lineup. I wonder who is the person is responsible for the decision to discontinue the A-700 before releasing a improved version of the A-7??. I think it sends a very bad message for all of us who have bought into this system. I sometimes wonder, that if I somehow lost my A-700 right now what would I do? I can say for sure that I would not buy one of the current new Sony bodies. I still use my 5D very often but it's no comparison to the A-700s quick navigation joystick system. The A-700 user interface system is the best I've ever used on any Canon, Minolta or Sony system and I don't want a dummied down/search through a menu system for my next body.

Sony now has their backs against the wall in my opinion. They HAVE to hit a home run with the A-7?? replacement or their out. I want some stability.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote