Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 1, 2008, 3:21 PM   #1

I already have an A200, would it make sense to buy a closeout ( but new) A700 body for less than $900? I'm tempted but don't know if it is really worth having both. Any thoughts from someone that has both models? Thanks!
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 1, 2008, 3:26 PM   #2
Administrator

That would depend on what you want to do with it and how much value you perceive from upgrading. The A200 is a capable camera. So, it's going to take photos that are just as nice is most conditions.

The A700 has a better viewfinder, which is something you may want to take into consideration. It's Autofocus is probably a bit better than the A200 from most reports I've seen (although the A200 is still better than most other dSLR models in this area).

You'd also have to consider the value you perceive from the ergonomic and control layout differences, as well as improved frame rate (5 frames per second), differences in build quality, and noise level differences (with higher available ISO speeds using the A700). The 3" high resolution LCD on the A700 is also nice.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 5:42 PM   #3

i hear those a700's are now in the low 800 range. IMHO, because you already have an a200, have you considered putting those 8 or 9 hundred clams to something else - grip + flash + decent bright lens?

i contemplated picking one of those bodies up too - i didn't think a camera of that caliber would've ever be in the sub 1K range.... sadly though, none in stock here in Hawaii.

now if only sigma would get it in gear and start turning out the 70-200s... i'm going to keep my 5d a bit longer and throw that money towards some glass.
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2008, 11:02 PM   #4

Got mine for $755.00 at Best Buy, I couldn't resist the offer. I was waiting for a full frame camera to replace my 7D, but at that price the A700 was to tempting.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2008, 6:13 PM   #5
Administrator

tango_28

That's a super price. As low as I've seen prices reported for them at Best Buy, I'm tempted to get another one. lol

Make sure to share some photos.

Old May 5, 2008, 2:35 PM   #6

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
Got mine for $755.00 at Best Buy, I couldn't resist the offer. I was waiting for a full frame camera to replace my 7D, but at that price the A700 was to tempting.
Wow..... that's a steal
meanstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 3:56 PM   #7

tango_28 wrote:
Quote:
Did they give you a discount on the clearance price? Cheaper than the BB here... :sad:

I already have the F42 flash and am really liking the builtin wireless, unless I get a deal like you found then I'll keep my A200 and buy some nicer glass.
djand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2008, 4:01 PM   #8
Administrator

I should probably check my local Best Buy. I paid full list price for my A700, since I was anxious to get one as soon as possible after product launch. lol

That's a super deal on one, and it's a very nice camera. If you buy one, I think you'll really like it. I can't think of another camera I'd rather have at anywhere near that price (extra discount or not).

Old May 5, 2008, 8:53 PM   #9

I picked one up at Best Buylast Thursday for $818 out the door. just too good of a price to pass up. I had no plans on buying one until I saw the BB reduced price thread over at Dyxum.

I had to drive about 20 miles to get the the last new one in my area (Downey CA).

The only ones that are left now are the displays and open box bodies for $756.

I just got back from Arizona and got some pretty impressive birds in flight photo's that I'll post in the wildlife section.

The AF is waaaaay better then my 5D. It's very fast.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 5:44 AM   #10

I had to drive 35miles to get the deal, but it was well worth it. There was this one BB store that was 7 miles way that had a A700 for $1119, but the store manager refuse to lower the price. She even would not take the 10% coupon.
tango_28 is offline   Reply With Quote