Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 3, 2008, 6:58 PM   #1

cruising on craigslist and found one for a very reasonable price (20 clams)...

i've been looking for a decent macro, the price seems right, and it's small and compact... avg user rating @ dyxum = 4.29, which aint all that bad....

thoughts and/or opinions?
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 4, 2008, 4:58 PM   #2
Administrator

Well, it's not a true 1:1 macro lens (like most zoom lenses with Macro in their description, it's maximum magnification is only 1:4). So, it's suitability for closeups would depend on the size of your subject and how much you wanted to fill the frame. Also, to use it's closest focus distance you need to use the Macro switch and go to manual focus.

It's a sharp little lens with good color and contrast. But, I very rarely use mine, as it's 2x zoom range is a bit limiting, and it's closest focus distance using AF isn't as good as some of my other zooms. I got mine as part of a camera outfit package that I got from keh.com for $52, including a Maxxum 7000 35mm SLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 2:10 PM   #3

sample image :

Last edited by bernabeu; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:25 PM.
bernabeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 12:11 AM   #4

I picked one upfor $35 a couple of years ago. Except for the 2X range, I think it;san excellent lens.

20 clams won't even make a pot of soup. You really can't go wrong for that price unless you already have a good lens that covers this range.

One other thing I like about this lens is it's size. It's small.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 1:49 AM   #5

i'm going to see if i can hook up with the seller tomorrow...

i'm on a craigslist roll! i just picked up a Maxxum 28mm f2.8 for 30 bucks.... the seller also was going to sell me a 50 f2.8 macro and a 35-105 f3.5-4.5 too, but found a bit of fungus on both lenses (the 50 and 35-105) - he just tossed for free to sweeten the deal.

lenses are no where near mint, but look like they are in good condition, aside from the fungus, everything else looks in working order - focus rings are smooth, no oil on ap. blades). i don't have my 5d with me (i'm on a business trip), so i can't test it out. these lenses are my first used lens purchase - could anyone point me in the direction of where to find a good "how-to" clean up a lens?

lastly, is there anyway to get at that fungus on the inside of the lens?

i'm going to be purchasing my first beercan when i get home from another craigslister.... 110 shmackers!

5 minolta lenses for $160? that aint too bad :?

p.s.
Bernabeu, that's a really great picture... i hope my 35-70 is as sharp as that!
Old May 7, 2008, 5:38 AM   #6

UV kills fungus. Leave the lenses out in the Sun (and remove any UV filters.[suB]:-)[/suB] )
TCav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 10:59 AM   #7

mahalo for the tip!
Old May 7, 2008, 12:22 PM   #8

If you like to tinker, you might even be able to get AF working in macro mode. See http://www.dyxum.com/dforum/forum_po...12549&PN=1

FrankD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 1:03 PM   #9
Administrator

Interesting.

Not being able to focus as close as desired using Autofocus, is the main reason I rarely use this lens (which is ironic for a lens with Macro in it's description).

It's just too hard to get the framing I like to get of people (head shots, etc.) because it doesn't focus as close as my other zooms with overlapping focal ranges if you want Autofocus. Also, it's 1:4 magnification (even if you use the Macro switch) is no better better than the kit lens or most other zooms that are not true 1:1 Macro lenses. Only you get Autofocus at closer distances with other similar lenses.

As a result, it's just not as versatile as my other walk around lenses that allow closer focusing using Autofocus, even if you didn't have the zoom range limitation of 35-70mm. It is a sharp little lens with good color and contrast though.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2008, 9:33 PM   #10

wow! that's some hack! i think i'll play with it as is before messing around with it though.

sample pictures on that link seem nice!

EDIT: seller just dropped lens (in it's black minolta case) off at my hotel. this could be the best 20 bucks i've ever spent. the lens is pristine.... can't wait to get home with my new bounty to try them all out!