Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 6, 2008, 1:37 PM   #1

The A200 is on sales right now for $500 with 18-70mm. I own A100, but I'm not that happy with theISO over 400. I heard that the A200 has an improved (higher) ISO. I could sell my A100, and then add about a couple of hundreds tobuy the A200. Someone told me that 100 has more functions than the 200. Is that right? Thanks in advance
Dolce is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 6, 2008, 2:09 PM   #2
Administrator

There are some features missing on the A200 that were present on the A100 (for example, Mirror Lockup). But, from my perspective, the pros would outweigh the cons for anything I'd care about. The A200 has faster Autofocus, combined with lower noise levels and higher available ISO speeds than you have with the A100 (and it sounds like noise at higher ISO speeds is one of the things you want to see improved).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2008, 2:34 PM   #3

I dunno if there's something wrong with my A100 (I bought it used) : In low light, it's quite noisy between the processing time (saving the images). I dunno if there's something wrong, or it's just the camera.
Old May 6, 2008, 2:44 PM   #4
Administrator

That sounds pretty odd. Are you sure you're not hearing the lens Autofocusing or something of that nature because you're using Continuous AF?

The actual saving of images is all electronic with no moving parts.

Taking an image is something else (Autofocus noise, mirror/shutter movement, etc.).

Old May 6, 2008, 4:34 PM   #5

Oh yeah... I just checked. It's the lens. I dunno it makes so much noise. It's the 50mm minolta 1.7
Old May 6, 2008, 4:55 PM   #6
Administrator

You'll hear the Autofocus when you half press the shutter button while the lens is focusing.

You'll hear the mirror flipping out of the way so that the image coming through the lens can reach the camera's main sensor when you press the shutter button down the rest of the way, with the shutter curtains opening and closing to expose the image, followed by the mirror flipping back down again so that the image coming from the lens is projected back towards your viewfinder and the camera's Autofocus and metering sensors.

An SLR type camera's operation is mechanical, and it's going to have some noise and vibration from mirror slap and more. You are more likely noticing noises other than the lens when taking a photo. But, the Autofocus won't be perfectly quiet either.

You'll see a a cross section view of an SLR on this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single-lens_reflex_camera

Old May 6, 2008, 5:39 PM   #7

Just my two cents,

possibly look for one of the best buy a700s that have been clearanced if you can swing the extra money from the price of the a200. you would have even better noise control and alot more features over the a700. i dont know if this is an option for you or not. also with the price reduction of the a700 you may see the price drop on used ones.Hope this helps, ecap
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2008, 1:27 AM   #8

Dolce wrote:
Quote:
The A200 is on sales right now for $500 with 18-70mm. I own A100, but I'm not that happy with theISO over 400. I heard that the A200 has an improved (higher) ISO. I could sell my A100, and then add about a couple of hundreds tobuy the A200. Someone told me that 100 has more functions than the 200. Is that right? Thanks in advance

A better camera is always ok...more features etc ect.

But the A200 is supplied with a kitlens which has a high diafragma, something like 4.5-5.6. It's due to this small hole inside your lens that makes you use ISO 400 or more. And as you know the higher the ISO the less sharp the picture becomes. So i would suggest that you buy better lenses then camera body. a 24-70 2.8 lets you get 2 stops more light.Another benefit is : whatever zoom range you use the diafragma let's a constant amount of light into your camera!!

Changing to a new camera will not change the fact that you do not have enough light entering your camera. And light is the most important thing in photography. With more light you can use a lower ISO....

Edit: You could also consider a good flash device. One which you can turn left , right, aim up, aim to the back, etc... even better then a lens...if you takes pictures at darker moments / places

feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote