Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 7, 2008, 11:22 PM   #1

When sliding my KM 5600 onto my a700 it seems the foot on the camera is not the same as my KM5D.

On the KM5D the flash fits very tight.

On the a700 it has a bit of play, a wobble.

Anyone else notice this?

It still functions it's just a little annoying.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 8, 2008, 11:50 AM   #2

i have the a700 and minolta 3600 flash and it feels fine, just like it does on my two 5d s, hope this helps
ecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2008, 7:59 PM   #3

My Minolta 3600, Minolta Program 5600 HS, and Sony HVL-F56AM are not loose on 400si,700si, Maxxum 9, KM 7D, or the Alpha 700. However, the F56AM is the only one that works in auto with the digital cameras. All the others are just fine in manual with the digital cameras. Looks like the upcoming camera requires yet another flash. Geeezzzz, LOL :blah:
AJ Gressette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 9:42 AM   #4
Administrator

Your 3600HS (D) and 5600HS (D) should also work with digital without going to manual power settings (AFAIK, the Sony HVL-36AM and HVL-56AM are just rebranded versions of these flash models). Are you sure you don't have the older models instead (for example, the 5400 is not digital compatible but the 5600 is).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2008, 12:52 PM   #5

They dont have the (D) on them. One says "Minolta 3600" the other "Minolta Program 5600 HS" I have had them since the early 90's. Used on the KM or Alpha the discharge at 1/1 or full power.
Old May 9, 2008, 1:04 PM   #6
Administrator

They didn't make non-D versions of the 3600HS or 5600HS (both of these Minolta flash models are ADI compatible and should work fine with digital). ;-)

Scroll down on this page to see Minolta and Sony flash models:

http://www.mhohner.de/sony-minolta/flashes.php

The older models like the 5400HS are not ADI compatible, but the 3600HS and 5600HS are ADI compatible and support the commands needed for digital (preflash, etc.)

Note that you can convert an older 5400HS to digital. See this page for more info (note that you'll see an instructions page there, and they also sell a kit so that you can do it yourself). But, I don't know if it works with models later than the A100 yet.

http://www.voitzsch.net/flashconv_en.shtml

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2008, 8:20 PM   #7

Jim, looks like I am having some Crow tonight for dinner….LOL:-)

Guess I had one of my dyslexic moments or Half__Heimer's moments.:?

My apologies for the misinformation. The old Minolta Flashes are the Minolta 3500 and 5400. Just a simple slave would work great for me since 90% of everything I do is in manual. Gosh, I'm still using a light meter!:? I have a set of DC Strobes, but sometimes that to much light and cumbersome to carry. Would be nice having the 5400 as an offset light.
Attached Images