Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 10, 2008, 1:06 PM   #1

I bought the A700 about six months ago, I love all the improvements over two of my Minolta D5Ds, but it has back focus problem and I sent it to LRC at Laredo, TX for calibration, it was back few weeks ago, it seems the back focus still existed, so I spent almost three hours last night to test the A700 with the Minolta 50/1.7, Sony 50/1.4, Sony 85/1.4 all wide open, compare with the D5D, all set to spot AF, of course, with tripod. Here are the results:

First test, with all lenses wide open, the camera was line up with the object, the D5D was focus 100% right on the spot, but the A700 back focus 70% of time, why 70% not 100%? I discovered that the focus results were changed when I turn the power of the A700 on and off. For example, when the focus focus right on the spot and I turned the power off, then turn back on again, the focus was back focus (I did half press the shuter again), sometime it was reverse. This did not happen to my D5D.

Second test, the camera was set higher than the object, the camera had to look down approx. 45 degree to the object. The D5D was passed 100% without any problem, but the A700 was failed 100%.

Does any A700 really test the focus in different angle? What's wrong in my A700?
lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 25, 2008, 5:09 PM   #2

There are firmware updates for the a700...done that?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2008, 7:59 PM   #3

I have the latest firmware version 3.0 on my A700.

The focus problem is even worse after the first repair. Before I sent to Sony for repair the first time, my A700 always back focus no matter what angle of the camera to the object, but the pictures came out sharp on spot that was approx. 10mm behind. When the A700 was back from first repair, the pictures only come out good when the camera line up with the object but still back focus as before it was repaired, but the pictures come out blur (off focus) on the whole picture when the camera was higher or lower than the object.

lsifs is offline   Reply With Quote