Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 16, 2008, 11:01 AM   #1

Does anyone have any comments about using the Maxxum 100-300 4.5/5.6 Af *55 with the Sony Alpha A200? What should the price be for a good used Maxxum 100-300 4.5/5.6 Af *55? Any other lens that should be an addition to the standard len's that ships with the A200? Is there a good site for used Minolta lens which are usable with the Sony A200?
JGreen48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2008, 11:12 AM   #2
Administrator

Make sure to get an APO version of one. They tend to sell for approximately $300 at reputable vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com (depending on condition, what's included and the exact version). The older non-D versions are sometimes a bit less ($250 and up), and the newest D version is sometimes a bit more (a bit over $300).

You'll want to avoid the non-APO versions of this lens (which tend to sell for under $100 in great shape). There is a reason for the price difference (the non-APO versions are going to have image quality issues like chromatic aberrations).

Here are some examples of APO versions:

Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO lens listings with hood and caps at keh

Here's a listing for a newest D version (which reports focus distance information to the camera for flash exposure purposes):

Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO D with hood and caps for $349 at keh

If you go to http://www.keh.com and look under Camera Store, 35mm (not digital), Minolta Autofocus, Zoom lenses, you'll see listings for more (some include hood and caps and some don't). I'd get one with them.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 1:00 PM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Any other lens that should be an addition to the standard len's that ships with the A200?
Is there a good site for used Minolta lens which are usable with the Sony A200?
Sure, lots of choices in lenses, and vendors of lenses. My favorite for used gear is keh.com (mentioned in my previous post).

If you want a lens reaching out to 300mm for daytime use, the Minolta 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 APO would be hard to beat. It's a well liked lens, and it will focus faster with your A200 compared to the earlier A100 model or KM dSLR models.

It all depends on what you want to shoot and the conditions you want to shoot in. ;-)

As for vendors, most of the time, you'll find more used Autofocus lenses in Minolta Autofocus Mount (a.k.a., Maxxum, Dynax, Alpha, Minolta A Mount) at popular vendors of used gear like http://www.keh.com, http://www.bhphotovideo.com and http://www.adorama.com (in order of my personal preference for used gear dealers) compared to Autofocus lenses from Nikon, Canon and others. There are many lens choices available. Here are some incomplete lists of lenses:

Fixed Focal Length Lenses in Minolta A mount

Macro Lenses in Minolta A Mount

Zoom Lenses in Minolta A mount

These are lenses I have for use on my Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D and Sony Alpha 700 (a.k.a., DSLR-A700), and note that the Sony Alpha 100 and Sony Alpha 200 models evolved from the Maxxum 5D, after Sony acquired Konica Minolta's camera related assets:

Minolta 28mm f/2, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2, 135mm f/2.8, 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5, 35-70mm f/4 Macro; Konica Minolta 18-70mm f/3.5-5.6; Tamron 20-40mm f/2.7-3.5, Tamron 35-105mm f/2.8; Vivitar 70-210mm f/2.8-4. All Autofocus (and all are stabilized on a Konica Minolta or Sony DSLR model, like my KM Maxxum 5D or Sony A700).

But, there are many lens choices available, and each one tends to be a compromise in one area or another (size, weight, focal range, optical quality, brightness, sharpness and contrast at various apertures and focal lengths, cost and more. What you like to shoot more often plays a big role in lens selection, too.

I'd let members know more about how you want to use a camera for better informed responses (which is best done after you've had a chance to use the kit lens for a while and get a feel for it's limitations and can make better informed decisions).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2008, 2:23 PM   #4

Another option you may want to consider is the Minolta 70-210 f/4 (not the f/4.5- 5.6).

The 70-210f/4 will pick up right where the 18-70 ends. It's not the the best lens in the 70-210 range, but it's a very reputable lens among KM/Sony users. Fora cost of between $150-$250 you can get a good copy. There does'nt seem to be any at KEH at the moment but they usually have a couple.

When I first bought my KM5D with the 18-70 I was right where you are now. After making some decisions I decided to buy the 70-210 from a local camera shop for $130.

To extend my range I bought a Tamron 200-500 from KEH. I second Jim's recommendation for KEH. Their ratings are very conservative and prices are about as fair as you'll fnd. I returned a filter that I purchased with the lens and I will say thattheir customer service is excellent.

http://www.dyxum.com/is also an excellent site for information about anything for Sony users. Check it out!
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 11:39 AM   #5

X2 on the 70-210 f4.

I have had GREAT LUCK on craigslist in the past week. IMHO, much better than buying from e-bay because in many cases, you actually meet up with the person to buy the lens and craigslist prices don't seem to be inflated like e-bay. If you haven't already done so, have a look (and keep looking daily!) on craigslist.org

Might I also suggest perhaps looking into a macro lens to compliment your kit lens and your telephoto? I stumbled upon a 50mm f/2.8 macro and it's opened up a whole new dimension of photography.

~aloha~
Hawaii Built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 2:06 AM   #6

Thanks for the great advice.

John
JGreen48 is offline   Reply With Quote