Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 19, 2008, 4:18 PM   #1

I had originally ordered the Bigma to go along with the A200 but it was on back order waited 6 weeks and still on back order, so opted for the Tamron 200-500mm DI, and I am really happy with the descision.

2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 19, 2008, 6:02 PM   #2
Administrator

It seem to get outstanding reviews from most KM dSLR owners for image quality and AF accuracy (although AF speed may not be as fast as some lenses from what I gather from comments). However, the A200 is a faster focusing camera compared to the KM dSLR models. Please keep us posted on how well it works as you use it in more conditions.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2008, 6:26 PM   #3

Great capture of that Jay.

I think you made a very wise choice. I decided on that lens for two main reasons.

1. I already had coverage with other lenses out to 210mm (no need for 50-200mm)

2. The cost of the lens was very reasonable for what you get.

Added pluses are; it's weight and size, for such a long zoom it is very light and relativelysmall, it's image quality is very good (not as good as a prime), and the tripod collar is well made (also like the filter ring).

There is a learning curve with this lens. It takes quite a while before you can really see what this lens is capable of. It's one of the funnest lenses I have. I love shooting with it.

Hope you have as much fun as I have.

Here's a few I've recently shot with the Tamron 200-500.

Hummer 5D T200-500 @500

Dove in flight. a700 T200-500 @500

5D T200-500 @500

[img]http://links.pictures.aol.com/pic/58a048*7Afp8kwMmsTeXK-CYMDfv2Pmjp4XO_l.jpg[/img]
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 11:55 AM   #4

Can you both post the settings used to take these pictures.

The dove is still sharp at 500mm 5.6..you need a shutter time of 125 at least (guessing)
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 12:02 PM   #5

2many wrote:
Quote:
I had originally ordered the Bigma to go along with the A200 but it was on back order waited 6 weeks and still on back order, so opted for the Tamron 200-500mm DI, and I am really happy with the descision.

Is the unsharpness due to shooting without a tripod?

(thinking about this lens after seeing these pics =)

Old May 22, 2008, 12:26 PM   #6

Yes it was handheld, and I am still trying to adjust the Apature and Shutter speed to get the right amount of sharpness. this one was shot at f9 1/160 at iso 200
Old May 22, 2008, 12:53 PM   #7

2many wrote:
Quote:
Yes it was handheld, and I am still trying to adjust the Apature and Shutter speed to get the right amount of sharpness. this one was shot at f9 1/160 at iso 200
Using a tripod will help lots I guess. At 70 mm a hand moventment is a little bit. But the same hand instability is amplified much more as you go towards 500 mm.

I do not know if this thought of mine is correct, but a tri-pod might be they key thing here. Try to make a picture of any object you can find...then with and without a tripod. and look if you see better results. Do post the 2 pictures thought. I and other would like to share your experience too.

Maybe choose a slower shutter speed and ISO 100.
Old May 22, 2008, 1:43 PM   #8

I am sure a tripod would make it sharper, but when it comes to birds, they dont always wait around for you to set up and get ready.