Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 21, 2008, 7:13 AM   #1

I recently bought a copy of Gary L. Friedmans book, "A Complete Guide to SONY'S A700". The cost was over $100 dollars for the best copy. Withiin a short time the pages started to fall out. When I advised Mr. Friedman he gave me a link to a publisher and stated that they would replace the book and also provide for a return? When I contacted the publisher none of this happened. They demanded photographic evidence that the book was falling apart. I then contacted Mr. Friedman and now he wants sales information, dates and the like? ...I made the purchase on line from his site????I am a retired teacher, disabled and 77 years old. In my life time I have purhased thousands of books. "A Complete Guide to SONY'S A700" is a good book that turns into trash. Save your money!
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 21, 2008, 7:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Well, Gary's books are well liked for content.

But, I've heard your complaint before about the quality of the printed books. For that much money, you would think the quality would be better.

I've thought about getting one for myself. The print is just too small in the Sony manual, and I have yet to read mine. :-)

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2008, 7:21 AM   #3
Administrator

P.S.

How do you like your A700? I got one in October and I've been very impressed with it.

Old May 21, 2008, 10:11 AM   #4

It is an excellent camera. I had the A100 and would have kept that as well but for the viewfinder. I do wish the documentation was a little better. It is why I put up my $100 bucks for the book.
Old May 21, 2008, 10:24 AM   #5
Administrator

I don't disagree with the quality of the Sony manual. They're not the only ones with bad manuals though. That seems to be a trend lately.

Don't be a stranger and post some photos from the A700 when it you get a chance.

From what I can tell, some of the newer Sony models are likely to be pretty hot sellers (especially the live view models, since that seems to be a desirable feature with point and shoot users looking to upgrade).

So, we should start seeing more forum members using them as time passes (especially since Sony just went from one dSLR model (the A100) to 4 dDSLR models (A200, A300, A350, A700), with their flagship coming later this year. They're a company to watch out for as far as marketshare goes as they get "warmed up" in this market niche.

Old May 21, 2008, 12:34 PM   #6

I agree. I do have some photos made with the A100. They are waterfalls that are in Northern Michigan. I have added the A700 along with a number of lenses and am going to make waterfalls into a project. I also just attempted to sella Sony 500mm Reflex back to B&H. They offered $300 but later said no they did not want it. I guess they have over 125 used Minolta lenses in stock and no market??? A shame, I only used the 500mm once.
Old May 21, 2008, 1:07 PM   #7
Administrator

I haven't looked at their inventory lately. I think they have a lot of lenses that have less desirable focal ranges (or mostly lower quality) in stock some if the time. They have pretty good lenses from time to time at very good prices. I even got my Minolta 135mm f/2.8 AF lens from their used department if memory serves. They also have very fair ratings. Also, just because they have a lot of lenses doesn't mean people are not buying them (good lenses at great prices don't stay listed for long, so check often)

I think once the flagship model with a larger sensor is launched, the market for lenses that start out at around 28 or 35mm will suddenly increase, though.

For example, a lens like my Tamron SP 35-105mm f/2.8 may suddenly become a desirable lens again, since it will have a wider angle of view (again, like it did on a 35mm camera) when used on the new Sony Flagship model. ;-)

I still use it fairly often (nice lens, with very good color and contrast). But, it's not so great on a dSLR for tighter quarters due to it starting at 35mm. It's a much sharper lens compared to the newer 28-105mm f/2.8 from Tamron from what I've seen.

I even used it for a few indoor basketball photos with my A700 a few months back (thanks to the faster AF on the A700), and I was pretty surprised at the quality at higher ISO speeds with it shooting wide open at f/2.8

http://www.keh.com usually has the best stock on Minolta AF lenses. Also, keep in mind that these vendors have a pretty good turnover on desirable lenses. That they all stock a lot of Minolta AF lenses is a good thing from my perspective. lol

Minolta made some 16 Million of them after they launched the Maxxum line of Autofocus bodies and cameras (not including lenses from third party manufcturers). Since they were the "new guys on the block" with their dSLR line (7D, 5D) and Sony only had one dSLR until recently, Autofocus lenses are much more plentiful compared to Nikon and Canon (since they've had dSLR models for much longer with users buying their lenses when switching over to digital from film).

Enjoy more used Minolta AF lenses while it lasts. With all of the new Sony bodies coming out, that may not be too long. :-)

Old May 21, 2008, 7:05 PM   #8

JimC wrote:

I downloaded the adobe format and saved the manual to my documents folder which I can open on my monitor and study with the camera in hand.
Easy to enlarge the pages for viewing.
This doesn't overcome the short comings of the manual but at least for me it is easier to use.
Quote:
Well, Gary's books are well liked for content.

But, I've heard your complaint before about the quality of the printed books. For that much money, you would think the quality would be better.

I've thought about getting one for myself. The print is just too small in the Sony manual, and I have yet to read mine. :-)
Flying Fossil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2008, 7:07 AM   #9

GOOD NEWS! After a lot of problems with the publisher, Gary has sent me his personal copy of this $100 dollar book. His books are EXCELLENT. The publisher was at fault and Gary has stood behind his product. I am certain he will do something about this publisher.