Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 22, 2008, 3:15 AM   #1

I've recently upgraded from a SonyA100 to a A200, looking thru the camera's viewfinder i can see a faint inner circle within the circle surroundingthecentral AF point, this is visible regardless of lens used &whether the camera is on or not.

It is more visible when looking at plain light subjects such as the sky, although this inner circle is complete,a segment of it from 9 to 1 (using a clock as reference) is not perfectly round & slightly broader.

I'm wondering whether it's something to do with the focussing or metering system or if the camera's got a fault, I'd be interested to know if other A200 users can see the same thing.

The inner circle cannot be seen either in playback using the camera's LCD or when uploaded to a computer, so it's only visible thru the viewfinder. And i cannot remember seeing the same thing in my A100.

I have set the camera's dioptre to max (- ) setting (don't know if this makes a difference), I have tried asking elsewhere including Sony but as yet have'nt had anything back.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

davesdigicam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 22, 2008, 7:42 AM   #2
Administrator

[align=center] [/align][align=left]Inside the viewfinder is a partial metering circle (spot), nine focusing points, the wide area focus frame marks, and the shooting area for aspect ratio 16:9 (when used). The active focus point(s) are illuminated so you know exactly which AF zone(s) has been selected. See the graph below for a visual description.
[/align]
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22, 2008, 7:49 AM   #3
Administrator

See the Camera Features and Controls section of the Sony DSLR-A200 Review here for more (or the manual should probably should the same thing).

Is the circle around the spot metering area what you're seeing? It's supposed to be there.

Old May 22, 2008, 8:46 AM   #4

The circle you mention and that can be seen in your exampleis exactly as mine is, HOWEVER within the circle surrounding SPOT AF I can see another "complete" circle, it's slightly smaller and as already mentioned has a segment that's not perfectly round & is a little bit broader.

Old May 22, 2008, 9:30 AM   #5
Administrator

Find one in store and look through it and see if it's the same. ;-)

I've moved this thread down to our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR forum that we have setup for discussion about Sony and KM dSLR models so that someone that has one may see it an respond.

I just checked the viewfinders in my Maxxum 5D and Sony A700, and I don't see another circle in the center (only the small square in the middle for the center AF area). But, I don't have an A200 to check.

Old May 22, 2008, 9:47 AM   #6

An A700 user mentioned that he'd had something similar in another forum :shock:

Which i have to say has'nt been as helpful.

I'll try to get in store & have a look at other A200's, I was hoping to hear from other A200 owners, i presume from the silence that it might be a camera fault ?.

Old May 22, 2008, 9:55 AM   #7
Administrator

The silence is probably because no A200 owners hae seen the thread yet and had a chance to look through their viewfinders. That's one reason I moved it to our Konica Minolta / Sony Alpha dSLR Forum. Patience. ;-)