Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 26, 2008, 2:10 PM   #1

Hello Folks, I am currently shooting a KM 7D using a variety of Sigma lenses. My favorite and most used lense is the EX24-135D 2.8/4.5. Unfortunately, just this morning while shooting Memorial Day observances, this lense puked. It has locked up so that the focus adjust ring only rotates a few degrees on the infinity end, both inAF and MF. I have also tried it while off thebody. NO GO! The lense is exactly 3 years old and until now, has served my very well.

Any suggestions with what I should try to do with this thing?

My next question is, what might I doto replace this lense? The other Sigma that I have in the short zoom range is not near the quality as the failed unit. Sigma is not longer producing this EX24-135 2.8/4.5. I like using the complete zoom range and open aperature available on it.
munmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2008, 3:54 PM   #2
Administrator

Sigma in NY could probably fix it.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/sigmaonlin...ay_service.asp

Or, you can still buy this lens new from sigma4less.com. I don't think they're an authorized dealer in the U.S.. So, it's likely gray market. But, sigma4less seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Sigma 24-135mm f/2.8-4.5 for $239.95

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2008, 1:29 PM   #3

I would try Sigma in NY to see how much they wanted to fix it. I had almost the same trouble with my 70-300mm APO DG, it stripped the autofocus gear, Sent it to them on Monday, they got it on Thursday I had it back repaired on the following Monday. Of course it was still under warranty, but I was impressed with the speed.
2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 7:42 PM   #4

I decided to send the lense out to Sigma in NY. I figure if they can fix it, it will cost less than replacing it. The big thing I am concerned with in the short term is not having a good lense for baseball team photos and a wedding later in June. Hopefully, the turnaround time will be short.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will post results when they appear.

Scott
Old Jun 12, 2008, 10:20 PM   #5

Sigma in NY will fix you up pretty quickly. I should know I've had to send my 70-300APO back to them 5 times in the last year. Whatever you do don't count on your repaired lens for someone's wedding. It could let you down at the worst time. Man i'm glad I don't own a Sigma camera and a lot of Sigma lens. That would be the ultimate headache. I would not use another Sigma product if it was given to me. C. W.
dwtbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2008, 11:17 PM   #6

I called Sigma earlier this week. They told me it would be a couple of weeks yet. Part had to ordered from Japan. What luck:sad:

Scott
Old Jul 8, 2008, 9:32 PM   #7

Yippee! I got my lense back. And just in time, I might add. Took about 3 1/2 weeks and cost was $80 to repair a broken gear that shipped from Japan (stated reason for delay when I called for followup)
Works great. Thanks for the help.