Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 28, 2008, 9:25 PM   #1

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Anybody?
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 8:26 AM   #2

The Tamron 18-250 is fine by me.....

TonySx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:24 PM   #3

http://www.pbase.com/jwazzz/sony_18-250

jwazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 3:38 PM   #4
Administrator

Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Anybody?
One review:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/revie...-f35-63-review

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 5:55 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

TonySx

jwazzz

Thank you both very much for your replies. Seems there is more web stuff to fetch on the Tamron and the SAL18250 here in the forum than in the world wide one:-)

Thank you again

Torgny

Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:12 PM   #6

JimC wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:
Anybody?
One review:

http://www.alphamountworld.com/revie...-f35-63-review
Thank you very much, JimC, for replying and giving the link. The review is informative enough. Wonder how it is compared to the Nikkor 18-200. There is no problem finding reviews and tests on that lens

I have Canon equipment, but Canon has nothing like the two. I want an all purpose, quality combo. Like everyone else I don't want to be limited by changing lenses all the time. Too many opportunities get lost

What about a350 + SAL18250

Torgny

Old Jun 21, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Administrator

The biggest drawbacks of the lenses being discussed like the Nikkor 18-200mm and Tamron 18-250mm (and Sony's version of it) is distortion (for example, barrel distortion is a bit pronounced on the wide end of these lenses), and some softness at wider apertures (smaller f/stop numbers) as you get further away from the center of the frame.

You can see reviews of the Nikon 18-200mm and Tamron 18-250mm lenses on the same camera model (Nikon D200, which uses a Sony 10MP CCD sensor) at these links (keeping in mind that the Tamron or Sony 18-250mm lenses would be stabilized on a Sony dSLR body):

Nikkor 18-200mm review at photozone.de

Tamron 18-250mm review at photozone.de

Center sharpness is actually fairly good at most focal lengths with both lenses.

As for the A350, I'd lean towards the A200 or A300 instead. The higher resolution 14MP sensor in the A350 will place more demands on lens quality needed for best results, and it's also going to have a bit higher noise levels at it's highest ISO speed settings. The A200 and A300 will also have a faster frame rate shooting in continuous mode. Unless you really need the extra pixels in the A350, I'd probably go with the 10MP A200 or A300.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 3:27 PM   #8

Hi Torgny, I am new here and this is my first post. I have the Sony A700 and the Sony 18-250 lens. The Sony 18-250 lens is not a bad lens at all. You do have to be a bit careful with it or you can get soft pics. I would not consider it a great close up lens, but it will work. I am attaching a picture from this week end. IMHO, this lens is a good lens to have. It is generally the lens I keep on my camera when I leave home with only my camera and one lens.

Ron

ront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2008, 5:01 PM   #9

ront wrote:
Quote:
Hi Torgny, I am new here and this is my first post. I have the Sony A700 and the Sony 18-250 lens. The Sony 18-250 lens is not a bad lens at all. You do have to be a bit careful with it or you can get soft pics. I would not consider it a great close up lens, but it will work. I am attaching a picture from this week end. IMHO, this lens is a good lens to have. It is generally the lens I keep on my camera when I leave home with only my camera and one lens.

Ron
Ron,

Perhaps I'm first in the row among the members to welcome you. Welcome! This sharing site i unique in the way that you can get almost immediate respons. You'll find your way around

Yes, it is the versatility I like. Seems it is better for close ups than Nikkor 18-200, if you read the specs

You have a pleasing orchid picture there. Thanks for posting

Torgny