Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Sony Alpha dSLR / Konica Minolta dSLR, Sony SLT

Old May 30, 2008, 2:24 PM   #1

Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. I am an amateur for many years. Have a Minolta 700si and Sony A100. Pardon me for asking for help in the 1st post.

I got very inconsistent exposure with A100, stock 18-70 lense and F36AM flash. A100 was set to ADI.I had been usingM,A mode to capture backlit and indoor scenes and turned out disastrous. Now I stayed at Auto P mode when using the flash.

Problems were, 3 people at frame center, bright glacier at distance, backlit. I used fill-flash in A100. I used M and A mode to set exposure to glacier. After taking the shot, exposure on faces were way too dark. The flash just "blinked" a little bit. Was it because the backlit fooled the ADI detection? But, ADI should use distance to calculate flash power.

Also, when I use bounce flash off the ceiling, I know ADI has not use at here. A100 will switch to TTL. Now, I get an even hard to predict exposure. Should I use Flash +/- to increase the flash power? This could mean I need to take multiple bracket flash shots and pick the right one afterwards.

Please correct me on my understanding of using flash. I know the set I have is way better than what I can get out from it. I like Minolta for years. Never tried other brand.

thank you so much.

Mylord
Mylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 30, 2008, 2:32 PM   #2
Administrator

The default matrix metering is going to weight your focus point more. So, if you're underexposing, you may be focusing on something lighter. I'd try different metering options and see what influence they have, too.

The camera is using a preflash to help judge the length of the main flash burst needed, regardless of the mode you use (both ADI and Preflash TTL both use a preflash). If it seems too much reflected light near your focus point (for example, your subject is wearing lighter clothing), it's probably going to tend to underexpose a bit (and vice-versa if you have a darker subject). When bouncing, you have a more difffused light source to make it a little easier. But, you can run out of flash range pretty quick bouncing if your ISO speeds are set lower with a dimmer aperture.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2008, 4:55 PM   #3

Mylord wrote:
Quote:
Hello everyone, this is my 1st post. I am an amateur for many years. Have a Minolta 700si and Sony A100. Pardon me for asking for help in the 1st post.

I got very inconsistent exposure with A100, stock 18-70 lense and F36AM flash. A100 was set to ADI.I had been usingM,A mode to capture backlit and indoor scenes and turned out disastrous. Now I stayed at Auto P mode when using the flash.

Problems were, 3 people at frame center, bright glacier at distance, backlit. I used fill-flash in A100. I used M and A mode to set exposure to glacier. After taking the shot, exposure on faces were way too dark. The flash just "blinked" a little bit. Was it because the backlit fooled the ADI detection? But, ADI should use distance to calculate flash power.

Also, when I use bounce flash off the ceiling, I know ADI has not use at here. A100 will switch to TTL. Now, I get an even hard to predict exposure. Should I use Flash +/- to increase the flash power? This could mean I need to take multiple bracket flash shots and pick the right one afterwards.

Please correct me on my understanding of using flash. I know the set I have is way better than what I can get out from it. I like Minolta for years. Never tried other brand.

thank you so much.

Mylord
My Sony 56AM has a range like 1.5-20. Within this range the flash exporure will be ok for most cases. Checked this? How's the flash working now?
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 8:38 AM   #4

Thanks for everyone's reply.
I am off to mexico cruise today. will try on different settings and distance.

I am using the flash within GN36 range. I am also reading some books on better photography.

thanks alot
Mylord
Mylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2008, 12:39 PM   #5

Hello Mylord;

You've found a great place to get answers for these types of questions. That's what this forum is all about, sharing information.

Those are about as tough as conditions as you could face for getting proper exposure. I've been using a 5600 for a couple of years and I have not even come close to getting the consistency I'd like.

You really just need to try different situations at home to practice. I've put an object on a table in front of an openwindow with the sun shining inand played around with settings to dial in what works with a back lit/fill flash picture. I still have not got it figured out with my 5D yet. The dynamic range seems to be too great for that camera even witha fillflash. You get proper exposed subject with blown out backgrounds or good backgrounds with dark subects.

Does the A100 have DRO?

You might try the night portrait or the rear sync setting with +/- adjustments. I've heard of people using that with success. Hasn't worked consistently for me.

Please let us knowif you find settings that works.

Mike
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2008, 2:37 PM   #6

Mylord?

I have the sony 56AM with Alpha 100

What i did is just shoot with a specific setting write down everything that is important:

and i change the power setting, angle, with or without a diffuser item. But I change 1 thing at a time to see what happens.

My flash situations are always the same. It only changes as i change a setting or flash bounce angle. Did you wait long enough for the flash to recharge 100%? Because the expore differs as the charge is 80 or 100%...
feetjai is offline   Reply With Quote